• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do friends treat you differently?

T

TOONAFISH

I have had depression since teens altho mostly mild with the exception of 2 x postnatal. One manic episode and 4 trips to hospital later, i feel that my some of my friends treat me differently.

Some are cautious of what they say to me for fear of upsetting me and others seem to think im not the same person anymore, like im less of a person.

I know i have a tendancy to take things the wrong way due to low self esteem but i really do feel that some of them look down on me kind of. perhaps not my closest friends but more aquaintences

do any of you experience positvie or neg responses to your illness

emski

emski

Well, most of my 'friends', don't bother with me anymore since having been in hospital and diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The majority in fact. But I don't mind - shows you who your real friends are. I still have my close friends and have made other new friends, so I don't let it bother me. What goes around comes around anyway

DrLecter

DrLecter

Friends

Toonafish;

I truly believe that many people respond with ignorance and fear when they learn of the distress of one who lives with mental illness in any form. Much of this is driven by media bias, much of it by very poor upbringing, but the central theme of your thinking might be that a true friend will remind you of everything that lies within yourself; the better part of yourself, if you will. They act as a mirror when you have sometimes lost sight and forgotten who you really are, what you truly believe in. They help you right up when you forget that you can do so on your own. They remind you that people do not hurt others purposely, but that they can only treat others as well as they treat themselves. Friends remind you that tomorrow will hold infinite possibilities, giving you the energy and belief in yourself to continue to walk through life in the way that is best for you on that day.

Be forever grateful to all the genuine true friendships in your life. Be grateful even to those who do not have your best interests at hand, for they teach us how to love ourselves more; they teach us the true value of our own great worth, and they further magnify our unending gratitude for all the joys that life holds and continues to present to us every single day. Friendship is both gain and loss, both of which can be of value to us all.