• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do crisis teams put you in crisis?

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Just phoned the crisis team and got another worker with piss poor english and interpersonal skills who when I told her I hadn't seen anyone for two weeks except my CPN and shop assistants said well you saw some one for a depot the other day! I called them bloody useless and hung up and no they didn't phone back despite me telling them I was suicidal. I swear as soon as the travel restrictions are over I am off somewhere to become a smackhead at least I might get away from this zoo of a rock permanently.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

Just phoned the crisis team and got another worker with piss poor english and interpersonal skills who when I told her I hadn't seen anyone for two weeks except my CPN and shop assistants said well you saw some one for a depot the other day! I called them bloody useless and hung up and no they didn't phone back despite me telling them I was suicidal. I swear as soon as the travel restrictions are over I am off somewhere to become a smackhead at least I might get away from this zoo of a rock permanently.
I'm sorry some people in the mental health field can be very insensitive. Maybe they should walk in our shoes for a while.

L

Lab rat

So sorry you experienced what you did. If a few more people with mh worked for the crisis team and a few less university educated “book smart” types, the system would work so much better.

I don’t know if the smackhead comment was meant flippantly, but take it from one who has been there, it solves nothing.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

That's a disgrace. Can't believe youve been treated like that. Try not let that get to you. Bypass the first contact folk if needs be and get a referral from your GP. Or go straight to the mental health team running the wards in your local hospital. You are entitled to and deserve proper treatment. The NHS is there to serve us all no matter the illness.

Ras

Ras

not surprising, Some of those people seem to have no idea what they are doing.
I called them three times in the past when having psychotic episodes and just wanted to hear someone talk that was real, and they made me regret it each time.

On Fire

On Fire

I agree, if you are really, really having a crisis and are not well, the crisis team is almost always awful. I don't know why this is.
If you are less unwell, and just having a mini crisis then the crisis team can be quite helpful.

On Fire

On Fire

Maybe the answer is in an absolute paranoid psychosis the only thing that actually works is antipsychotics.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i hate having the crisis team ,they always make me feel worse so i don't have them unless im forced too
you can email me if you want to talk x Love Lu x

On Fire

On Fire

Some of us, probably particularly those with complex problems, or those with multiple diagnoses and/or diagnosed with different things over the years, really struggle to get along with and be understood by mental health services.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Here in the states my experience has been similar. Experience has shown me that they are most effective when you have called in crisis a few times, they did nothing and so you then actually follow through with what you were going to do. If/when you survive it and they find out that you had made a serious attempt through your family they begin to scramble around pretty fast.

L

Lab rat

Our local crisis service is very poor, I dread to think what it will be like with all this going on.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I just wanted to say thank you all for your care, support and hugs in this thread, you made me feel better. Wasn't an SZ crisis but rather a depression one. @Lab rat the smack comment wasn't flippant, I haven't touched junk in about 25 years but some times it calls to me, ya know.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

I was in a mental health facility for a month years ago. It was hell the staff were cold and uncaring. They treated the patients like we were not human or didn't have feelings. I honestly don't know how I got through it. Those people should walk in our shoes it was a nightmare. I finally was sent home but I wouldn't recommend that place to anyone. Oh yeh I left the same way I came in.☹

JessisMe

JessisMe

I was in a mental health facility for a month years ago. It was hell the staff were cold and uncaring. They treated the patients like we were not human or didn't have feelings. I honestly don't know how I got through it. Those people should walk in our shoes it was a nightmare. I finally was sent home but I wouldn't recommend that place to anyone. Oh yeh I left the same way I came in.☹
Was this in a large city?

B

bluntbanana

Just saying, most times they are useless because they scrape the bottom of the barrel to get people to work in those situations. It's not your responsibility to relate to them when you're feeling low, but they speak to suicidal people all day everyday, they are either going to be exceptional human beings or, what I believe is the more typical response, they are going to develop a thick skin and become somewhat apathetic. I've had a call recently from a very exceptional member of the crisis team who gave me lots of tips and advice and helped set me a goal etc, but this was the first time, usually they do not appreciate how you might be feeling and seem almost robotic.