• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Do antipsychotics help for anxiety sufferers

P

pollypocket88

Hey there I was wondering do doctors ever prescribe antipsychotics for anxiety and ocd ? and do they help ease anixety and ocd

N

natalie

Hi,

Your best bet would be to ask your GP that question, and if you are currently having problems with anxiety and ocd, let the doctor GP know, and they can then refer, you to the community mental health team. Now, there is one medication for anxiety called Lorezapam, or Diazapam as well, however, these are not antipshycotics. They are for problems like, szchiophrenia and on occasion problems such as bipolar.

So as I suggest, book an appointment for your GP, ask them that question, and let us know how you get on.

Here at MHF, we cannot diagnose you, you need to seek a medical assisted professional opinion and also they'll help to prescribe any suitable treatment or therapy aside as well t o help.

Good Luck, and welcome aboard to MHF.

I'm Natalie, and I have a problem t hough settled, of Anxiety. I am much much better now.

Best Wishes.

P

pollypocket88

Hey there

thank you so much for your reply yeh I finally went to my Gp after it getting very bad and I could no longer pretend any more I needed help. Not been reffered to a mental health team I pay for therapy private and Im on sertraline . I just wasnt sure what other sorts of medication could be availiable for me and no I havent had any of those 2 . I have been perscribed sleeping pills in the past. I havent been coping well at all these pills were horrible at first but my body is getting used to them.

N

natalie

HI, Pollypocket88,

I've had a couple of ideas; Could you try to listen to music, ideally with headphones, via a personal small cd player; and that way, your acute anxeities will be calmer in the short term in 1 or 2 hours, I recommend at first small amount of doses of music listening, here and there through out the day and evening, mind the fact though, that if you have to answer the door, or phone, this can be tricky to get done, without interruptions.

The other idea, I have got, try to workout 2 or 3 times, a week, via an acitivity of your choices, when I think workout, I mean exercising. Exercising, I have found, is an excellent tool for calming the mind of anxities down, and at bay.