Do all BPD have a history of emotional traumas?

L

LittleMissNameless

I have BPD and one of the questions I was asked by the psychiatrist: have I been sexually abused? have I been physically abused? etc. so I think most people withn BPD have experienced trauma.
this is anecdotal evidence though.

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i don't think it always has to be extreme, not every one can pinpoint what resulted in them having bpd cos not everyone has a one significant event type of trauma, i think even if it was just that you were neglected as a child and didn't get the love or attention a kid needs it can result in developing bpd

Keesha

Keesha

i don't think it always has to be extreme, not every one can pinpoint what resulted in them having bpd cos not everyone has a one significant event type of trauma, i think even if it was just that you were neglected as a child and didn't get the love or attention a kid needs it can result in developing bpd
Thank you. Do you have trouble communicating with others ?
Did you seek counselling and did it help?
Do you take medicating for it?
Are people with this suppose to be medicated?

I did have an abusuve and neglectful upbringing. Both my parents are narcissistic and were the only child. This is difficult to deal with.

Keesha

Keesha

I have BPD and one of the questions I was asked by the psychiatrist: have I been sexually abused? have I been physically abused? etc. so I think most people withn BPD have experienced trauma.
this is anecdotal evidence though.
Thank you. Did the psychiatrist help you deal with this? Are you on meds for it and do they help?

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED

I did have an abusuve and neglectful upbringing. Both my parents are narcissistic and were the only child. This is difficult to deal with.
most times I have trouble articulating how I think and feel, I'm very shy in real life

I was forced to have counselling at 15 and 16, it didn't help because they kept insisting I had bipolar and tried to medicate me for it rather than do any type of talk therapy, but I'm on a waiting list for DBT

I'm not medicated for BPD, I think there are some medications that can help with certain symptoms, but overall BPD can't be cured with medication so it's your choice if you take it and what for

Keesha

Keesha

most times I have trouble articulating how I think and feel, I'm very shy in real life

I was forced to have counselling at 15 and 16, it didn't help because they kept insisting I had bipolar and tried to medicate me for it rather than do any type of talk therapy, but I'm on a waiting list for DBT

I'm not medicated for BPD, I think there are some medications that can help with certain symptoms, but overall BPD can't be cured with medication so it's your choice if you take it and what for
That’s the scary part; getting wrongly diagnosed and medicated.
This can’t be cured and there’s no medication for it. Geez! It’s pretty hopeless then.
This is depressing as hell.
Thanks BPdevil.

G

Girl interupted

Narcissistic parents create bpd children. There have been a number of academic articles on it. Google narcissistic personality disorder and bpd.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Narcissistic parents create bpd children. There have been a number of academic articles on it. Google narcissistic personality disorder and bpd.
That’s not necessarily true . It’s due to normally to childhood trauma. I had a narcissistic mother and I don’t have BPD but it has left me with other MH problems. My daughter has BPD and I’m the opposite of narcissistic introverted in fact. Her problems were caused by an abusive grandparent.

Keesha

Keesha

Thank you. I’ll do that. This is devastating.
No wonder I’m a misfit.

Keesha

Keesha

That’s not necessarily true . It’s due to normally to childhood trauma. I had a narcissistic mother and I don’t have BPD but it has left me with other MH problems. My daughter has BPD and I’m the opposite of narcissistic introverted in fact. Her problems were caused by an abusive grandparent.
My childhood was very traumatic and unfortunately I fit this description to a T except I DO have much empathy for others.
Oh joy! Oh bliss!
What to do.
I think I’ll go in hibernation mode AGAIN.
It worked before.
Thanks people

G

Girl interupted

No I found when I finally had a diagnosis of bpd it was liberating. Like a lightbulb going off. Here was scientific documentation as to why I feel the way I do. And the more I read, the more I realized it wasn’t my fault. Which is freeing too, and allowed me to focus on therapy to get better.

Think of it as a sports injury. You wouldn’t neglect that and just hopes it gets better. Likewise with your mental health.

Bpd doesn’t define you. It’s an injury you need to work on to heal with the help of a therapist.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
@Keesha Sorry you’ve had so much trauma , parents and extended family have a lot to answer for. My mother has left me with schitzoaffective and social anxiety. And I didn’t know about my daughters abuse till she was 10 and I blame myself completely for not realising it.
Are you getting treatment for your BPD apparently DBT is getting some good results

G

Girl interupted

Sorry Daffy if I triggered you with my other post. Xo

Keesha

Keesha

No I found when I finally had a diagnosis of bpd it was liberating. Like a lightbulb going off. Here was scientific documentation as to why I feel the way I do. And the more I read, the more I realized it wasn’t my fault. Which is freeing too, and allowed me to focus on therapy to get better.

Think of it as a sports injury. You wouldn’t neglect that and just hopes it gets better. Likewise with your mental health.

Bpd doesn’t define you. It’s an injury you need to work on to heal with the help of a therapist.
I wish I felt the same.
The thing is I was perfectly ok being in my own narcissistic little world of my own. I entertained myself by being creative; painting, playing music, making jewelry, carving stuff and was good a most things.
In fact I can be quite good at anything I put my mind to except communicating with others.

A year ago I decided to go online and like all other times, people love me at first until they discover my real personality. Then I get gossiped about and treated like a troll.
At this current moment I’m discovering the reasons WHY and it it’s far from flattering.

My entire life I’ve discovered that I have many mental disorders. The list of them is staggering. After getting shunned and banned on a forum, I decided the only safe place for me is here and I’m not saying all this to manipulate anyone or to gain sympathy. Apparently that’s another characteristic of BPD. Now I’m over analyzing myself, add OCD to that along with PTSD, and it can become overwhelming at times.

I often reminiscence about the years I’ve spent in total bliss just enjoying the company of my dogs and life’s simple pleasures. There was no one to disappoint, no one to disagree, no one to disapprove and no human external stresses. It was pure bliss. You’d think this would be enough for me but I decided to go online just to prove to myself that I could socialize successfully and I was for quite a while but then I started breaking apart and stayed because I’d feel like I’d need to prove that I was worthy. It became an obsession.

In reality I did do damage because I’d self sabotage myself over and over acting like I’m someone I wasn’t. I have to be the funny one after all.

There was a time when I had a lot more self awareness and cared more about inner stuff.
My world shifted because my priorities shifted. Suddenly that shift caught up to me.

Does anyone understand any of this?
Either way it doesn’t really matter.
It is, what it what it is.
It just really sucks.

Keesha

Keesha

@Keesha Sorry you’ve had so much trauma , parents and extended family have a lot to answer for. My mother has left me with schitzoaffective and social anxiety. And I didn’t know about my daughters abuse till she was 10 and I blame myself completely for not realising it.
Are you getting treatment for your BPD apparently DBT is getting some good results
Hi daffy,
I’m not sure if I’m even addressing you members accordingly. Sorry if I haven’t.
No I’m not getting treatment. I while ago I was in counselling but even that I’m not truthful with. I’m too busy trying to impress the counsellor with what a great person I am. For some reason I act like I need to put on a big show or presentation like I’m not good enough so everything I do is way over the top that I become too intense and too much really quickly. Too potent a personality that at times I can’t tone down. When I’m in my up stages I’m fun and energetic but when I’m in my down stages I wallow in self pity and it’s such a quick dive that it takes my emotions on a roller coaster ride.

Apparently I have schizoaffective disorder also. I go through periods of paranoid delusions. It’s horrible, especially when I start distrusting my own family.

What I find difficult to do is to accept myself fully and completely while still accepting others continuous rejection.

I’m at the stage where I’m acknowledging that I truly am permanently broken. There are things that I can do to help but I will never be a normal human being. Then again .....normal is soooooooo over rated!!!!:whistle::rolleyes:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
You are not permanently broken. And you can learn to live with this just read some of the forum posts a lot on here are working successfully. I realise that it’s doubly hard for you having schitzoaffective as well, are you on meds for that? Because I know the meds I was on trampled on my emotions. I know it was to stop the mood swings but I felt nothing on them.
I would seriously consider asking for therapy for your BPD. My daughters had a few but I can’t remember them all I know she’s had EMDR and is now having DBT which seems to be working.
I think you need to speak to your CMHT team and ask for some help

Daf:hug:

Keesha

Keesha

You are not permanently broken. And you can learn to live with this just read some of the forum posts a lot on here are working successfully. I realise that it’s doubly hard for you having schitzoaffective as well, are you on meds for that? Because I know the meds I was on trampled on my emotions. I know it was to stop the mood swings but I felt nothing on them.
I would seriously consider asking for therapy for your BPD. My daughters had a few but I can’t remember them all I know she’s had EMDR and is now having DBT which seems to be working.
I think you need to speak to your CMHT team and ask for some help

Daf:hug:
Yes I was on meds for a short while but they made my symptoms worse. I felt like a rock. Like yourself, I couldn’t feel anything and I felt it dehumanized me to the point of not being able to relate to anyone.

So I need someone who specializes in treating BPD?

Thank you 😊

Muddleduck

Muddleduck

What is the difference between BPD and PTSD?
Some people get one and some get another.
Do all the people diagnosed with it have it?
What is it anyway?
Why now Emotional dysregulation? What does that mean?
Not my diagnosis, maybe i have a bit of it, but i hate everything about it. It seems so vague and also so generalising.

Muddleduck

Muddleduck

Is this common?
It is common to feel so bad you want to die. Common to have had bad experiences in your life, or worse than bad. Some cope, some don't. Some have depression also, because of, or started that way. Some get better, some don't. Some have good relationships, some don't, some choose to be alone, some wish they weren't. If there is anything i have learnt reading about this illness, it is that it is the most vague but generalising illness i have ever come across. It was discussed in relation to me once and i said what i have just written here. It must be a type of ptsd.

How can someone say something about a personality when it was not the person's fault? It makes me so mad. If you grew up with an alcoholic dad who hit your mum every friday night, and then was told this, it seems very wrong. Maybe i am getting upset over nothing but i don't understand it. If i were to open up about my family, i would be told i had this, like i almost was before, and discharged, like i was before.

I don't understand any of it.