• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DLA

G

gilber88

Hiya people
I'm currently receiving DLA and ESA, I get DLA on low rate mobility and medium rate care, this has been this way for just over a year as I have psychosis.
Now (in past 8 weeks) I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, which for me is so disabiling I cannot go outside, alone or accompanied. I have called DLA and filled out a claim form again telling the DWP about changes in my condition.

Has anyone else applied for a reveiw of their benefits?
If so could you please tell me how long it took for them to decide? I am currently paying a 'baby sitter' to 'watch' me while my partner is at work, we need a bit more financial help to cover my carers cost.

Any help at all is most appreciated

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi there the best thing to do there is to contact social services and ask for someone to help you fill out the form they are the experts and will help you fill them out so you get the right benefit. if yo have a mental health problem you can just phone make an appointment and they will help you. good luck diddy:D

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I don't know the answer to your question(how long is a piece of string) but i would say that you are unlikely to get a higer rate of DLA as it sounds like you are on the right rate now. Unless someone has to spend alot of time in the night caring for you, you ate unlikely to get the high rate care. I may be wrong but i don't think so. Most of us are on LRM/MRC which is what you are already getting.

T

TabbyToes

Has anyone else applied for a reveiw of their benefits?
I applied towards the end of last year. They rejected my appeal but on first review they accepted. It went through quicker than they said it would.

I agree you'd be best to go to social services (I had a social worker help me) or the CAB (who helped with my initial claim).

shaun3210

shaun3210

I don't know the answer to your question(how long is a piece of string) but i would say that you are unlikely to get a higer rate of DLA as it sounds like you are on the right rate now. Unless someone has to spend alot of time in the night caring for you, you ate unlikely to get the high rate care. I may be wrong but i don't think so. Most of us are on LRM/MRC which is what you are already getting.
That isn't strictly true, I was on high rate care and low rate mobility.
When you fill out the form base it on your very worst days.