• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DLA

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
hello
I recently received a letter from Job Centre Plus telling me that my DLA will now be paid weekly instead of 2 weekly. This is causing me untold upset as I pay all my utility bills on a 2 weekly scheme. I rang the number that was given if I found this a problem and spoke to a very unhelpful bloke who said that they HAD to pay it 4 weekly by law and if I was unhappy to put it in writing.
Has anyone else had a similar letter?
I am nervous about "rattling the cage" as a friend recetly had their DLA stopped when they questioned their particular level of DLA.
Feel pretty sick as I now have to wait a month (just before Christmas) before my next payment and "sods law" it will be c***ed up then.
I really don't need this now as struggling on my meds and writing any letter is totally beyond me.
Cheers
very depressed Marchhare

D

Dollit

DLA is usually paid 3 weeks in arrears and one week in advance. I currently get it fortnightly but thanks for the heads up on that one.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I think i have it paid 4 weekly or monthly, as i pay my bills by monthly direct debits, it just about balances out, that is until recently

firemonkey

firemonkey

I get a weeks worth of income support + weeks worth of premiums + weeks worth of DLA at a time. ie all together on a weekly basis.
I have direct debits set up for council(water rates) and phone. For Electric which i get three monthly bill for i put aside certain amount each week in envelope ditto TO cover credit card bills.
Then i have another envelope i put money in each week to cover paying for birthdays and Christmas .

I should put money aside for clothes but usually do that out of savings. As a rule of thumb they say that people should put 10% of wages away as savings.
That of course is difficult if you are just on income support/incapacity(ESA) without DLA.

The problem with a lot of people and not just mentally ill people or people on benefits is that they think 'whoopee i've just got my benefits/wages now what can i buy?' as though all that money is spending money which of course it isn't.
Once you have covered and put away for outgoings and food then what's left is for things you want to get or do.

I could see how it might throw some people if the frequency at which they get their benefits is changed.