DLA

E

ems

Founding Member
I had to ring Home Intervention recently and was told that things couldn't be as bad as I said because I was able to verbalise coherently - add that to the council suggesting that the problem may have been in my imagination and you can understand I got angry. Then of course I got into trouble for being angry. I made a complaint against HI via my psych which felt enormously good.
JUST TO SAY THIS
I HAVE HAD THE HOME INTERVENTION TEAM VISIT ME IN THE PAST AND THE GUY SAT STARING INTO MY EYES AND WROTE DOWN EYE CONTACT GOOD,
ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT IT - I THINK HE WAS TALKING ABOUT HIS OWN EYE CONTACT.
I MEAN WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?
I ALWAYS STARE PEOPLE OUT - IT IS PART OF MY DEFENCE MECHANISM!!!
I SUGGEST THAT IF YOU CARE CALLED IN FOR A WORK INTERVIEW THAT YOU START HALLUCINATING IN FRONT OF THE INTERVIEWER
ASK WHY THEY ARE WRITING WITH A TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE PUT IN PLACE TO PUT FEAR INTO YOU OR US
I CAN UNDERSTAND THE FEAR OF NOT WANTING TO LOOSE BENEFIT PAYMENTS BECAUSE IF YOU LOOSE THEM AND STILL CANT WORK IT USUALLY MEANS YOU LOOSE OTHER STUFF TOO,.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I did have "the verification framework" round, if your on housing benefit they check up, you have to provide photographic proof your you, proof of benefits, that you live there.

AS my mother put it they wonder why so many OAPS don't claim

A friend had them round she said it was sad the guy had been in prison and was saying you will get a job, take your CV to my church and get it blessed, she's looking for work

I found it very unpleasent, guess i'm a child of old labour and a welfare state for all, it's not just OAPS who paid national insurance contributions for years and were promised a pension who find it hard to adjust

mischief

mischief

Admin
I think one of the most upsetting aspects of getting to know people on here is the sense of abandonment that people feel when they're ill or they're not coping or things go wrong. I feel that intensely myself when I'm ill.
How can we change this?

D

Dollit

I don't know - I have an incredible support network but sometimes the medics aren't there, they do get time off or the boys are in training. I can talk to my mum and my sister but they don't really get it. I'm not a patient person (which is probably why I don't get politics & philosophy, I'm a doer not a talker) and whilst I don't look for instant gratification or solutions sometimes I need someone just to say quickly that they've heard me and they'll get back to me. It's the response time I find difficult - once the cavalry arrive they're astounding.

Here on the forum I have my buddies list and they are the people I go to first behind the scenes for a scream. A few people do the same with me. In the other world I have two people who I email whatever the time of day or night it is just to release the agony.

It's a quandary.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Going for my last session of counciling off mind today, don't know if it helps, the support worker put it on the incapacity for work form so it must help with the old claim, thats me been cynical, i have decided to do things and ignore worries that the benefit people will hold it against me

THe counciler says there has to be a goal and theres no goal with me, but well she's someone to talk to

D

Dollit

If you didn't need the counselling you wouldn't be sick would you and therefore fit for work so the counselling must prove that you're not fit to work.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
One psychiatrist said "It's the same as if you've got the flu, i give you drugs to treat the flu, i then say you haven't got the flu"

It's comments like that i find hard in new labours brave new world where on benefits the onus is on you to prove sickness.

I don't accept i need councilling, sometimes i feel all i need is an end to the stigma and that old new labour line social inclusion

Fitness for work thats a totally different kettle of fish, that assumes theres a job to go to that pays the rent, that isn't dependent on disability tax allowance that for some reason my support worker tells me i'd only get at the low rate

I struggle a bit too make ends meet, even with the time for cheap cookery, shopping it'd be difficult if i was doing long hours, also the drugs make me sleep eating into my time, off course how do i put things that way and stand a chance with a benefit claim

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I've had my own problems regarding benefits and have just done my first week back at work (only 25 hours mind) since having a mini relapse las summer. Been on Incap you're allowed a 104 week clause which states if you fall ill again during that time you can go back on IB. I went back before I was ready as I was called up for the medical and as I was doing permitted work it was as clear as the nose on your face what was going to happen, at least I got the 104 week clause. I'm probably no better off going back to work but for me it beats being stuck at home for a couple of days. At the end of the day if I fall flat on my face again I will have the personal satisfaction of knowing at least I had a go at beating my problems. But I know everyone is different and their levels of illness vary, I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

My gripe is that people with mental health problems appear to be a soft touch for the benefit police and why the heck should some quack who you talk to for however long these interviews last (and probably wouldn't know a panic attack if it jumped up and hit em in the face) can make a justifiable judgement on your condition over your own GP who you have probably been seeing for years is totally beyond me.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've always had a soft spot for the book one flew over the cuckoos nest, i know they say it created American care in the community but i always think of those people in hospital with the big nurse because at least that way they get meals and a roof over their head which is more than the American welfare state provided

Theres that scene where mac murphy trys to pick up a concrete water fountain and fails, as he says "At least i tryed dammit"

In the past i tryed work and getting better, i worked in social services, the social workers there had no doubt i was sick and unfit for work, however when i turn up at social services offices now it seems they have it another way

D

Dollit

A guy I worked with in Social Security was invalided out and told he would be considered permanently unfit for work and this was the DSS doctor who said this. The DSS doctor has now told him he should consider returning to work in the same environment that made him so sick they refused to allow him to continue working. Catch 22 or what?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've had gps notes saying i'm sick, i've had gps notes saying i was fit for work, i've had so many diagnoseses, they say they won't expect schitsos to work but i've had the diagnosis and not had the diagnosis, theres no guarantee i won't be re re re diagnosed,

I try to be pragmatic theres advantages to been fit theres advantages to been sick, theres also disadvantages, as my social worker friend put it when this psychiatrist came up with the line i'm not mentally ill "You may get a shag out of it", the psychiatrist was probably coming up with the old stabilised on meds crap

I am aware women are into been well succesful etc, i could judge them but i'm into women with certain curves so i can't talk, it wouldn't be an issue if these damn drugs weren't messing my libido up

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I think at the end of the day the government wants as many people off benefit as it can get. This is wrong. I know my limitations I couldn't go back into engineering work again on shifts, I just couldn't do the hours. If this job had not arisen I would have had to have the benefit exam and put up with all the crap that entails.

I fear for the future, care in the community don't work, they're stopping people from smoking, drinking is next, food no doubt will follow that, the country's going down the pan. Petrol seems to be going up weekly, every time I go shopping somethings gone up, not to mention gas and electricity. I reckon its all a plot to try and stop us from using too much due to the myth called global warming. Just an excuse to make even more money. Oh andd id you know there are regulations to govern how big the holes are in the salt jar at fish and chip shops?

Sorry guys rant over!!!!!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The NHS, Social Services and the DWP are under pressure to ration resources so they use a narrow definition of ill that cuts the numbers, the man in the street and employers use a totally different definition, an employers involves whether the ability to work is or is not present

Then theres the effect of meddication, i sometimes feel the only people social services call ill are those off meds with florid symptoms

Decided to try to get better and not worry about what the welfare system make of it, now my first hurdle, my disability bus pass is up for renewal and i've got to prove a high level of ilness

Paying bus and tube fares will eat into my money

R

Roxy

Founding Member
I'm very much in a similar situation as regards DWP, on and off benefits as and when they see fit no matter how ill I am. The same scenario crops up constantly, it causes extreme stress which worsens my symptons drastically. However its only in the past few years that i've received a basic benefit, until I recently got the help to claim what i've been entitled to, then within a couple of months i got the questionaire which will probably kick it all off again. Help with fares would be a great advantage, it would hopefully encourage me to get out of the four walls i've imprisoned myself in for far too long. What I do realise is that I'm not alone and that are many out there who are being treated unfairly by the welfare system, but then thats life!!:(

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I'm very much in a similar situation as regards DWP, on and off benefits as and when they see fit no matter how ill I am. The same scenario crops up constantly, it causes extreme stress which worsens my symptons drastically. However its only in the past few years that i've received a basic benefit, until I recently got the help to claim what i've been entitled to, then within a couple of months i got the questionaire which will probably kick it all off again. Help with fares would be a great advantage, it would hopefully encourage me to get out of the four walls i've imprisoned myself in for far too long. What I do realise is that I'm not alone and that are many out there who are being treated unfairly by the welfare system, but then thats life!!:(
Do they not have a travel pass for applicable people up in Bonnie Scotland???

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
...my disability bus pass is up for renewal and i've got to prove a high level of ilness

Paying bus and tube fares will eat into my money
...I think the only criteria you need to fulfill is that you're not fit to drive, whether via illness or meds...had similar problems myself this month. Had to take in a letter from my GP.

R

Roxy

Founding Member
I've only just discovered that the pass existed, but yes it is available up here. I just assumed it was for folk with other types of disabilities, its not that easy to obtain the necessary information to apply for thngs like this so I believe i'm not alone in being unaware of it.

D

Dollit

I've got a bus pass. I have to prove that DVLA won't let me drive and my medics have to back it up by saying that it's not in any ones interests for me to learn how to drive.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm worried i can't prove i'm unfit to drive, i've got a moped, most of the time i'm too anxious to drive it and the meds effect my reaction time, but the gp must have supported the license, i'm worried it may therefore b e difficult for him to say i can't drive

Another case of me shooting myself in the foot by trying

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I'm worried i can't prove i'm unfit to drive, i've got a moped, most of the time i'm too anxious to drive it and the meds effect my reaction time, but the gp must have supported the license, i'm worried it may therefore b e difficult for him to say i can't drive

Another case of me shooting myself in the foot by trying
Have you considered Voluntary Surrender of your licence on the grounds you feel your meds effect your driving in accord with Part III/Sec. 92 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act? If your condition improves later you can apply to get it back.