DLA

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I get DLA there are 2 different rates for mobility and 3 for care, i get the middle rate care, i had to fight my case for 2 yrs and go to a tribunal, the disability centre says it wouldn't be a good idea to try for the high rate.

The low rate care, it's so low it's hardly worth putting up with the extra stigma for, the middle rate means you can get the severe disability rate of income support, makes a difference on top of the extra money.

I'm not sure of the grounds now, it used to help if you said you couldn't cook a meal, concentration, saying you live on sandwiches and convenience meals.

Mobility not been able to go out due to anxiety and paranoia

You have to meet these physical things and you have to make mental things fit physical

As one disabled activist put it, show yourself at your worst and it helps no one if you end up in hospital due to not been able to cope on a low income

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
I have DLA.. my initial claim was dead easy cos i was just out of hospital after my brain haemorrhage

i'm now on the lowest rate (having been on highest rate for everything, so actually its a big step forward ..

forms forms forms ....

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's a terrible thing to say but i worry about been counted as better and having my DLA cut, mental health workers see red when i express that view

I'm 50 this year, there are 50 yr olds without illness and who also have work experience and work historys who can't get jobs, they're talking recession and the money i'm on just pays living expenses without me going out much or having a social life

REmember writing to a friend yrs ago "I've been very ill but i'm much better now" i didn't realise

D

Dollit

I've just noticed this thread (I'm recharging something via the computer and it's taking a long time so I'm having a good look round all my favourite sites!) and wanted to reply. I've been on DLA for about 5 years now and have to reapply every four years. I get the middle care rate because I sometimes have to have someone with me when I go out because I'm considered a danger to myself or others. I'm not going to expand on that. I find applying and re-applying very hard. I find it emotionally draining and usually end up in tears. I can't quite believe that the girl who was so full of promise and expectations has ended up like this - filling in the forms makes me very easily forget the achievements I have in my life right now, and they are considerable achievements. It is difficult to get because of proof etc but it is also difficult emotionally.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Problem is achievements are held against you by the benefit system, theres that huge list of changes of circumstances your supposed to declare any one of which can trigger a benefit review requiring forms and proffessionals to contact to fill in the forms

It reduces me to a terrible state the psychiatrist says "The benefit system will probably get more punitive in future but thats none of our concern" none of his concern he's on a good amount of money

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Thanks everyone - I think I'll give it a try - they can only say no can't they.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Does anyone here get DLA and how easy was it to get this????
I have only just found this as well. One of the first answer things to learn is that you answer all questions from your worst day experiences. Sorry forget all self pride. If on your worst day you cannot cook a meal say no, Poper cooking that is, microwave meals dont count. if you cannot go out say no, if you gat confused when you are bad, you sayyou need someone to guide you to your destination and to see you safely across the roads.etc. always answer from a worst day or night point of view, but dont over egg it.

See if you can get the support of your gp or even better your consultant If you get a letter thaagreet says no, it will not give a reason. Phone them and ask for the reason. When they tell you, go away and think about it and then write in with your reasons to disagree. Dont expect the people to be experts, they are mostly jumped up little Erks.

It is worhwhile to fight for middle rate care as you will be able to claim severe disability premium which is another £49 per week.

Any questions ask me

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I get DLA but my SW filled it in for me. Im sure if ihad filled it in i wouldnt have got it. Like Ralph1 says you have to state the worse. I was upset when my SW went thru mine but as she said some days you cant get out of bed or cook a meal. Other times when im high /low i need someone with me.

Apparantly they have made it much harder to get now and its at a lower rate.

But good luck all the same(y)

D

Dollit

That's what I found so upsetting about doing the forms is that you have to look at yourself at your worst and even if the day you're filling in the form is a good day we all know those days don't last. I'm quite a tough person but it really does bring me to my knees. Luckily my GP & psych are willing to make statements and last time I did it so did one of my support team. I think they make it hard to keep the wasters away but I think they also presume that anyone who's sick enough to get this has people to do the form filling for them - I wish.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
An aquaintance of mine, with a beautiful house and plenty of money but knows how to work the system has decided shes going to stop work and go on benefits (sickness) They also applied for a council bungalow and been approved on prioroty! Yet he walks every day carries shopping back , does all the housework and heavy gardening. Dont get me wrong he is ill but not that bad. They have been turned down for DLA b4 but now an housing official has said they can fill it in for them.

When i asked why they wanted a small flat she said 'oh i dont i want the money from my house then i can spend 6 months of the year on holiday. I know i shldnt be bitter cos they have both worked hard in there lives, but this is not the reason the system works for:mad:

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
An aquaintance of mine, with a beautiful house and plenty of money but knows how to work the system has decided shes going to stop work and go on benefits (sickness) They also applied for a council bungalow and been approved on prioroty! Yet he walks every day carries shopping back , does all the housework and heavy gardening. Dont get me wrong he is ill but not that bad. They have been turned down for DLA b4 but now an housing official has said they can fill it in for them.

When i asked why they wanted a small flat she said 'oh i dont i want the money from my house then i can spend 6 months of the year on holiday. I know i shldnt be bitter cos they have both worked hard in there lives, but this is not the reason the system works for:mad:

who can blame them if the government make it so easy :unsure:

Having said that, they are clamping down and people that claim falsely make it harder for the people who are genuinely entitled :mad:

I always feel so guilty filling in my forms now .. hence now getting the lowest rate. I am registered partially sighted, but i can do stuff, even if on my worst days i have no energy, no enthusiasm and no motivation

D

Dollit

Doesn't it just make you want to spit feathers? The system isn't perfect but genuine people are turned down and refused help every day. A bloke I know got caught out and made a point of getting drunk one night and telling the whole neighbourhood he wasn't to blame it was the person who shopped him, they were the real criminals... I could go on forever on this topic. :mad:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sorry to say this but when i find out its been filled in i will make a phone call, and ask them to be watched for afew days b4 a decision is made. I wouldnt like them to get into serious trouble just to be warned about making false claims

D

Dollit

I used to work for DSS and they don't usually take cases to court unless there's a lot of money involved. They will watch if there is reasonable cause to and disallow the claim if necessary. Don't be sorry about doing it if it means that you're protecting the interests of those who really do need DLA. A word in the housing officers ear may be a better bet and you can do that anonymously. It's sad when the world gets to this.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You don't know the level or extent of other peoples illness, people play it down in public due to bravado, even gps can't get an accurate view, i have to be at a cretain level of wellness to see my gp, at that i have to be at a certain level to be seen in public.

My friend, i find myself resenting when he says i'm worse than him as he gets far more in benefits, sometimes after speaking to him and him telling me how ill i am i feel like contacting the benefit people and asking why he's getting more than me.

Many years ago we were in the pub and he was saying he gets the benefits because he knows how to use the system, i guess he had his eye on the 2 attractive women and wasn't looking for a pat on the head, anyway it was the local labour pub full of people waiting to go to the party meeting

Sometimes he talks about how frightened he is of dying, he's got a motability car from when he was unable to walk, though now he can, most of his family have died young of heart disease

E

ems

Founding Member
Can I Ask This Question?
Why Do A Couple Of You Think It Is Okay For People To Claim Dla When They May Not Be Entitled To It? I Find This An Odd Attitude To Have. You Can Have An Attitude Of Well, If They Can Get Away With It, Fair Play But Surely If Someone Is Not Entitled To Dla Why Should They Have It. I Am Not Speaking About People Who Are Turned Down And Who Genuinely Need It.
Is It Possible That The People Who Say They Are Claiming Dla And Are Not Sick Are Just Saying That?
I Dont Get Dla But I Probably Would Get It If I Applied. I Know There Are People Out There Who Are So Ill And Yet Dont Even Apply. Maybe They Dont Know They Are Able To Get It.
I Dont Think The Government Makes It Easy To Get Dla But They Do Make It Easy For People To Apply. Applying And Getting The Award Are Two Different Things.
I Could Suggest If You Feel Hard Done By And Know Someone Who Is Claiming Dla And Isnt Entitled To It, Then Why Not Report Them?
I Remember Many Years Ago Hearing About Someone Who Had A New Bathroom Built And A Ramped Footpath Laid To Their Front Garden. Apparently This Was Done Because The Person Had A Wheel Chair. After The Work Was Done The Person Never Used The Wheel Chair.
It May Seem Clever And Smug When People Seem To Get Away With Fraud But It Isnt Really Fair On Those Who Are Genuinely Sick. At The End Of The Day Somebody Has To Pay For It All.
:(

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member

The money from the house will have to be declared, and they will get no means tested benefits. To spend the money like that will be seen as a deliberate attempt at fraud and they would probably go to prison. With that money in the bank, they will not get housing or council tax benefit. I also hope that the person who fills the forms in knows the rules on making false statements. They could end up with no job and no prospects.

There is an annonymous fraud line :oops:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
As has been said people have to see themselves at their worst to get the DLA, some seeing them at other times at their best would call it fraud.

It is unfortunate that everyone has to exagerrate in effect to get enough money to live on, would you rather people fail to cope and end up in hospital, that would cost everyone more.

You may not have claimed DLA maybe you don't need to, maybe you've got other sources of income

When i went to the tribunal i was struggleing to survive, more now even than now, as i told them i was thinking of going into hospital, i wasn't joking if they had left me i would literally have come off the meds and provoked a crisis i was feeling so bad

What at that about my black neighbour, facing racism in the workplace and unable to live on the basic benefits, is it fraud for him to work without declaring it, thats a stigma argument but i'm not even as fit as him on meds that make me tired