• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

dla tribunal appeal any help welcome

L

lisachris

hi everyone any advice welcome
i was receiving middle rate care and low rate mobility for over 15 years and lost it at the end of last year for depression panic attacks and agoraphobia things have never gotten any better and i am more medication now more than ever so i dont understand why . i now have an appeal on the 2nd of april and am very anxious about it its leaving me really down as i hate the unknown and facing people i dont know, things like this are very intimadating to me and i know i wont relax for one minute until this is all over can anyone tell me what to expect what questions they will ask etc

L

lisachris

Thank you Marilee xx

SarahD

SarahD

Hi lisachris, sorry, I know how worrying all this benefit stuff can be. Have you got anyone helping you? Do you have a care coordinator or,cpn? If you are under the local mental health team they may have a benefit adviser who will help you and attend with you. If not, ask at the Citizens Advice Bureau if they provide help or know of any local benefits adviser or charities who have them. If not, try local mental health charities and ask if they help with benefits problems.

If no luck, try googling your area and benefits advice. There are also some online benefits advice groups and forums who may suggest help, a Google search should find some. If all else fails there is a group called Benefits and Work who provide advice and guides to ESA DLA and PIP claims and I think they do on appeals and tribunals. You can find them online and it cost £20 a year to join - I have found them a great help.

But the best thing would be if you can get someone to help you prepare and go with you. Since you have agoraphobia, will they visit you at home?

L

lisachris

Thankyou Sarah I didn't know I could ask for a home visit I would like to just get all this over now so I'm going to go to the appeal I have a benefits co ordinator but he's very abrupt and the only one that will take it on at the moment as they are inundated .i also have a great family support a sister who goes everywhere with me when required . Will they let her answer for me as I tend to stumble when I talk esp to strangers I could scream I am that worked up at the minute and nothing is making any sense to me , I had an appeal already years ago and won but it's like a blur I can't remember being there or what they asked me I have lost my carer as they cut the money and really need him here esp at night but he just can't afford to do it all anymore so he's now looking for work this seems to set me back about ten years I hate all This and just know I'm in for. Avery anxious and rough few weeks xx

SarahD

SarahD

You need to let them know in advance that you need a home visit. Also a good idea to explain that you suffer from anxiety and may not be able to answer easily so your sister will be there to help you and answer if you can't. I don't think there will be any problem with that.

Shame your benefits coordinator isn't so easy to deal with. I hope that what he does do is good. The first year I had to claim ESA I had a very good benefits adviser and it made all the difference. I had been put in the WRAG group and she got me moved to the support group. I have a better idea what to do now but it is the most anxious making stress inducing thing.

I hope it all goes well. Try not to worry too much. Just be as prepared as you can. The time will pass more quickly than you think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2