• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DLA Research??????

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I recently put in an application for DLA and today received in the post an interesting letter.

The letter is from a company called insite and they say that they have been asked by the DWP to "conduct some research into whether DLA helps disabled people and those with serious health conditions who may want to work, to fulfil their aspirations... The research is intended to find out whether DLA affects the way applicants think about work and whether it helps them to return to work or to stay in work. The aim is to identify what the main constraints are to working for DLA claimants and whether improvements can be made to the benefit which will help overcome these difficulties. A further objective is to understand the way in which DLA makes a difference to the lives and finances of disabled people and their families."

Now call me cynical but isn't this just the sort of thing that they were talking about with incapacity benefit. How can a benefit be inproved when the biggest barrier to working is the nature of the disability and the discrimination faced by those with a disability and the public's response to it? I know there may be things around the edges which might make a profound difference to the ability of someone to work - funding for transport may help those with a physical disability for example but this just shrieks of yet another attempt to cut benefits for those with a disability turning it into a version of JSA. Please prove me wrong!

Has anyone come across this research study before and know the background of it?

Cheers,
Honey

Norabella

Norabella

What gets me is the line 'wants to work'; I am sure most of us would like to work and make a success of it - but I know I could not work.

I have worked, in retail, in factories mostly and I have not coped with it at all - I have been picked on, nearly assulted one bloke (I am a girl) and had various 'coping with people issues' or rather not coping.

I used to think it was because I was working in the wrong job and if I got some training and a 'decent' job it would work out - WRONG!!!!

On the occaisions I tried to get qualified and went to college to do access courses I ended up on the attempt becoming anorexic and lost 3 dress sizes in weight in less than 3 months! I was in my early 20's then.
The second time I became so anxious and ill (I was still as thin as a thin thing so no real weight to lose) I couldn't do anything else but he college course every other aspect of my life suffered and I had to give it up - both times I was very stubborn about not giving in (failing) and of course felt awful when I had to stop it.

As for jobs - pah! I dissacosiated half the time when I was working in factories - didn't realise it at the time but realise now that is exactly what it was, and had a whole raft of different social handicaps that either drew attention to me, made me some sort of target - I looked different for start, never did fit in.

Now I do voluntary work and run a community and youth centre so can be 'in control' but even so I can see how hard it is for me to function at times - put me back to work, I will either kill someone (well at least hurt them or feel like hurting them) or will lose my temper (especailly after all this time not working) or will get ill, lose weight or something else not good for me.
Regardless the pressure I would be under to function around people that dont understand and I cant relate to would drive me mad :)oops: already mad) and home life would suffer as a consequence and I would feel worse and so on and so on....

I have just been told today that I have complex PTSD and have borderline personality disorder so hopefully they wont make me work I am 45 now and the last time I worked I was in my 20's, that kind of makes me feel bad but I know I couldn't cope with it.

Norabella

Norabella

and another thing....

I recently submitted my DLA form a day late, been on it for ages (years now) and they are processing it as a new claim...

Sent them a letter and not sure if they have answered me yet as despite having two letters from them, neither letter actually says a thing and they dont acknowlede or refer to my letter in any way, shape or form.

my hubby has rang them and was told that the claim should not be treated as new claim and should be a renewal - so I will have to write to them again and tell them again whislt enlcosing a copy of the original letter I sent - ho hum!:unsure:

Will let you (all) know what happens

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I haven't heard of it honey but yes you are absolutely right it does all sound like part of the general Government offencive against Incapacity/Disability benefits. They are always couched in this 'positive' language which suggests all they are trying to do is help - when in fact they are just causing pain and worry and distress. Actually that reminds me (as you are 'oop North' :)) I saw a very good leaflet from the Leeds Mental Health Service User and Carer Reference Group on this subject - I don't know if it is on the net anywhere; but they might well be interested in this insite thing (I have an email address for them).

Nick.

T

Twylight

Many Thanks - If I get a letter from ' Insite ', it's going straight in the Shredder !

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Thanks Nick, feel free to pm me their e-mail and I'll pass on my experience!

Insite haven't been in touch yet (?) and be warned Twylight, you have to opt out of the study so unfortunately the shredder won't stop them contacting you! Urghh.....

P

putki

Thats totaly right honey!! its just aload of crap:mad:

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Another piece of government-sponsored harrassment and discrimination couched in Big-brotherly concern and paternity, while they size you up for their tread-mill life of opportunity. I have no doubt the DWP has a whole lot of jobs no one wants, especially lined up for the gullible and impressionable mentally-ill who can be press-ganged into anything once we have been duped into believing we have no right to the support we get. Trouble is we have been in this longer than any of the stooges in the government cartels behind this mass-manipulation. Just don't be fooled by their social 'concern'. they are vigilantes with no thought for our needs whatsoever. :mad:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Oh well, have been turned down for DLA so they'd better not ring me up now! Grrrr.

T

Twylight

Thay quite often turn people down
BUT don't give up APPEAL !!

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Honey,

sorry to read you have been turned down for Dla :( Do not be deterred, please write to them ASAP requesting a 'Statement of Reasons' as to why you had been declined?
Also ask for form GL24 and appeal their decision - this has to be done within 30 days of receiving the letter, I believe it can be extended a further
2 weeks until you get the statement of reasons.

You can also put in a new claim now.

Hope above info helpful, :) take care. :hug:
x

B

bobhoulston

DLA - Information to make a claim

Hi, I have uploaded to the internet a mental health themed web site that has information about Disability Living Allowance and other resources. You can access it here:
www.houlston.freeserve.co.uk/mental.htm
Maybe that will be helpful.
Best wishes from Benefit Bob - The Welfare Weasel.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm told in my area you have to be on injections to have a cpn, neither do i have a social worker, after all the trouble i went to to get on pills, the GP said he couldn't tick the box saying i require monitoring taking my meds as they'll ask why he's prescribimg them, if he ticked the box it'd help with the claim

T

Twylight

I don't know if this is relevant: , but Olanzepine is available in an injectable form - I think ?