DLA - is it worth it?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Interesting discussion, that word insight funny word, it's a 2 edged sword, they tell me i've got it one shrink using the DSM3 rediagnosed me at one point for that reason, don't know if i've got it some things are too painful to think about

D

Dollit

I don't think a patient having insight should affect a diagnosis. Insight just means that you are aware of your condition and your state of mind. Insight doesn't have any effect on recovery or how you cope with things it just means you're acutely aware of what's going on.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Under the DSM3 lack of insight is one of the main symptoms of schitsoprenia, therefore insight effects diagnosis

Remember MIND wanting to hear from anyone who was diagnosed schitsoprenic under the DSM3.

It was a well meaning attempt to avoid a schitsoprenia diagnosis for anyone, unfortunately it coincided with the end of the tory yrs when social services were looking for excuses to leave people and the benefits started been targetted at the most needy, a DSM diagnosis would be used as a reason to leave people

D

Dollit

DSM III was replaced by DSM IV at least a decade ago and there is nothing in DSM IV about lack of insight being one of the criteria for a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Never the less insight has been included in diagnosis and psychiatrists probably still consider it

It's like that thing hearing voices ask a psychiatrist to define it

D

Dollit

A psychiatrist once told me that a voice came from outside your head and if you heard something inside your head it was a thought.

S

Starbright

Hmm. What about the voices inside your head that sound like someone you know and talk to you as if you're telepathic? Or the thoughts that answer your own so that you think you're telepathic? I've had both of these, and also the voices outside my head. Lots of all of them, all at once. It was pretty impossible to figure out what I should do as they were all telling me to do different things. It was a total nightmare. I did, however, know that I shouldn't be hearing them and that if I admitted it, others would tell me I was ill and I thought I was well, only telepathic and beset by demons.

I'd like to know what a psychiatrist makes of that.

D

Dollit

I don't know Starbright. Like everyone else on hear I can only speak from the experiences that I have and from what has been said to me. Also not every psychiatrist has the same opinions, their views and attitudes can be shaped by the experiences they have in clinical practice.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Guess by that definition i don't hear voices, i hear some very unpleasent things when i'm in public places but it's quiet when nobodys around

There was a programme "The Buddha Of Suburbia" years ago and in one episode the indian guy is standing in a square in London with his bike, you see figures passing slightly out of focus and words you hear, racist etc, thats my experience though i'm white, i don't know whether it's hearing voices, i never folowed the programme to see if the guy got diagnosed

D

Dollit

I think if it helps your understanding of yourself and how to cope with what's going on you call it hearing voices, if it doesn't you don't. I think that a diagnosis is the ball park in which you sit but how you see yourself and how you feel the diagnosis should be handled gives you the right to pick the seat. If that's not too obscure as an analogy.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's hearing voices and paranoia etc when dealing with the DWP, unfortunately it's those in positions of power that define things and the DWP workers are in positions of power over me

On the other hand when i meet an attractive women, i'd rather have things played down as far as illness goes, also when dealing with people i'd rather my view was taken seriously, say if i call the police, or have to deal with a housing benefit problem due to some housing officers incompetence where the housing officer will try to deflect the issue to my MI

Poppy Shakespeare is on TV mon, i like the book, i was housed in a salvation army area, social services said i wasn't a priority on mental health grounds and the only way out was to become a priority, a housing tribunal decided that been schitsoprenic was not in itself grounds for rehousing

It's experiences like that that have left me scarred and cynical about better and the mental health people, who have it every which way

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I always thought there were 3 kinds of voices. External, which is quite clear and could be good or bad. Intrusive (internal) for me it usually sounds like someone elses voice, usually slagging me off, but quite often it sounds ehoing and indistinct like being in a swimming baths. Then ordinary thoughts which i call my washing machine head. I cant always understand whats being said because my head is whizzing so fast.

The psych seems very understanding when ive explained this. I very rarely tell anyone else about this side of my illness tho and only my closest family know of it. People always assume the worst of you when you hear voices

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
The psych seems very understanding when ive explained this. I very rarely tell anyone else about this side of my illness tho and only my closest family know of it. People always assume the worst of you when you hear voices
I very rarely talk about it too Daffy.
I find it very confusing to be interviewed by two people at the same time.

It's quite difficult to explain what happens but the 'washing machine' you refer to 'rings a bell' so to speak.

:)

D

Dollit

Hearing voices is one of those subjects where we all have so many different experiences we can't help but learn from each other. My big thing under stress isn't a voice I hear. In the days before medication and I got stressed it was like an out of tune radio in my head. Now I'm medicated and when I get seriously stressed I hear the most beautiful music and it's nothing I've ever heard before. It's very soothing.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I remember the police dr asking me if i 'm hearing voices, i said "I'm not hearing voices at the moment but i will hear them after this" he said "you hear voices when your under stress"

Had an interesting talk with my black neighbour about police bigotry yesterday, he believes it starts at police college

D

Dollit

Rambo, in the course of my voluntary work I work closely with a lot of police and I work with them in a very relaxed atmosphere, I get treated like one of the boys and they don't tone anything down while I'm there and in over 6 years I have yet to encounter any bigotry. They all know that I have a mental health problem and I've never met with any racism whilst they've been discussing ethnic minorities. I'm not saying that there isn't racists and bigots serving in various forces but please don't make the mistake of assuming that all police officers are - after all that's just as bigoted an attitude.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Next door to my mother in brum are some police houses and i heard the police talking about me, one said "where did that happen London" i never said all police are bigots

However the met the stephen Lawrence case declared them institutionally racist, the met they hate all minority groups, i'm not saying all but a lot

Then theres the fact that theres been a lot of high profile mental illness murders in London