• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DLA - impossible? or is there hope?

Star-x-Smile

Star-x-Smile

Hi there,

im just looking for some of your thoughts regarding DLA.
I have been in receipt of Dla for many years now, and am currently on the middle rate.
About 8 weeks ago, i applied to have my claim looked at again as things have changed over this last while and i get alot more help at night as well as the usual help during the day.

My diagnosis is uncertain as i have previously been diagnosed with depression, Borderline personality disorder and then dependcy personality disorder. (i really wish they knew whats up with me)

I am currently taking the anti physcotic "risperdal". I hear and see things at times, and am often self harming as well as trying to take my own life. Im not a very settled person and my moods are always .... well, one minute im abnormally happy and over the top hyper where i bounce from room to room, leaping and screaming, throwing things and running into doors. The next minute, I am sat with a sharp utensil in my hand and a collection of pills beside me. I have very unstable moods. The depressive spells always come after the highs, and last longer.

I get help throughout the day from my mother, sister, and grandmother. This includes taking me out of the house, they cook meals for me in a bid to get me to eat, do housework, looking after my hygiene needs and keeping me safe as i have sucicidal tendencies. Pretty much most things.
At night i get alot of help too, to remind me with meds, getting me to bed etc....

My grandmother is my main carer but she is 69, and it is starting to tell on her. And my sister is only 16, so she shouldnt even have to be caring for me.It should be the other way around. :redface:

Basically, what im wondering, is... is there a chance of me getting the higher rate award? or is that just not going to happen? I wont go mad if i dont get awarded the higher rate, but i do need alow of help and i do feel it would be beneficial. I just hope they wont drop it, because i know that the middle rate is the least i am entitled to. My support worker said there is a chance it would be awarded at the high rate but dont have too high an expectation.

I know you cant tell me for sure, lol. But your input and thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

Thankyou.
xxxxxxxxxxx

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The middle rate i get on the grounds i need constant care throughout the day, whether i get that is another matter, whether i need that, in an ideal world i wouldn't say no

High rate you need constant care day and night, thats the strict definition though a lot don't receive that and the benefit people guidelines state that not receiving the care is not a reason to turn people down

I though short of money wouldn't aply for the high rate in the present climate, in fact i would avoid anything that makes them look at my case, but that is just me

Star-x-Smile

Star-x-Smile

Thanks 4 ur reply. Ideally i would have someone with me at all times. Its just not possible. Unfortunately. I was told i shouldnt be living alone and if i didnt have kids i would still be living with my mum. Its been 8weeks since they got the forms so i hope they get back to me soon though am not expecting much joy. Im happy to accept staying on the mid rate but it would be a great help if i recieved unexpected news. Thanks again for your reply. Xxxxxxxx

M

maudikie

Change of circumstances.(Maudikie)

I should report this as change of circumstances, and certainl ee your doctor again and possibly your psychiatrist if you have one. It may be that a change from the Risperidone is called for, but that woould depend on professional opinion. Whoever you see, tell them all you have written on here. I agree about your sister. Perhpas she could contact the Carers U.K. as they have a section for young carers, and at 16 she needs support.

ellamental

ellamental

Founding Member
DLA and BPD Borderline Personality Disorder

Hi
I have bipolar II so a different strain of loopiness but I have two very good friends who have BPD. One got very little DLA and the other a big whack...high care and low mobility but it does sound like you might benefit from it being looked at again. From the few people I know who get it, including myself (I get high care and low mobility) what seems to help is getting a good social worker...it seems a bit painful but for a start off they make sure the right stuff gets put on the form but even if your forms have all the bells and whistles (I even included copies of my medical records so dotted every i etc) if you are seen to have a social worker and he endorces what you have put you are less likely to have to appeal. I think it is definitely worth doing as the money is a huge help and considerable...in my case nearlly £400 a month.
Good luck with it all
Ellamental
PS as you mentioned BPD have a look at this
www.living-on-the-borderline.socialgo.com