DLA for life

J

Jane6424

Hi
I have been sectioned many times in the past, including multiple section 3's.
I've made a good recovery and have not been sectioned for about 6 years now.
I was discussing dla or pip as it is now and was informed yesterday that if you had ever been on a section 3, even if it was just for one day... that you.would be entitled to dla for life.
I have searched for further information on the Internet about this but haven't found anything useful.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Note: I used to receive highest care component of dla but I stopped it last year for fear of fraud as I didn't feel I met the criteria anymore.

TIA

R

Rio grand

Hi
I have been sectioned many times in the past, including multiple section 3's.
I've made a good recovery and have not been sectioned for about 6 years now.
I was discussing dla or pip as it is now and was informed yesterday that if you had ever been on a section 3, even if it was just for one day... that you.would be entitled to dla for life.
I have searched for further information on the Internet about this but haven't found anything useful.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Note: I used to receive highest care component of dla but I stopped it last year for fear of fraud as I didn't feel I met the criteria anymore.

TIA
I don't think that having been sectioned is a silver bullet, if it was much would have been made of it at the time the legislation was passed.
Ive been sectioned a number of times too(we should start a frequent flyers club)and when a similar decision went against me I went to see my GP who knew of my diagnosis but not that I'd been sectioned a number of times. On learning this she tried to phone them and then wrote to them.
Within a couple of days it was sorted.
Being sectioned means that at least two psychiatrists recognised the seriousness of your condition and that they considered it appropriate to remove your liberty to protect you or others. At great expense in facilities that are even fewer than they were them.
You can understand why they would be reluctant to take one of these to a tribunal because they would need to be certain that things had changed sufficiently to avoid a repeat.

And the" patient " doesn't believe that much has changed otherwise they wouldn't be there.

B

billym4467

as far as i new there is no such thing as DLA for life, and every one on DLA would be re-assessed now and then even if only by paper. ive also been told that everyone on DLA has to be re-assessed for PIP as in a new claim. most will be asked to attend a medical. i'm on PIP as i never qualified for DLA, and after 2 years ive just had my re-assessment for PIP. i do no a couple of people on DLA who have had o reapply for PIP. hope that's of some help.

R

Rio grand

as far as i new there is no such thing as DLA for life, and every one on DLA would be re-assessed now and then even if only by paper. ive also been told that everyone on DLA has to be re-assessed for PIP as in a new claim. most will be asked to attend a medical. i'm on PIP as i never qualified for DLA, and after 2 years ive just had my re-assessment for PIP. i do no a couple of people on DLA who have had o reapply for PIP. hope that's of some help.
Have you been sectioned?

B

billym4467

no but i no someone blind in one eye, so classed as parchally sighted. i used to get a letter every 5 years or so on DLA he would fill the letter in and get another 5 years or so. he has just had to reapply for PIP. though the good news is on DLA he had middle rate on disability and low rate mobility, he go enhanst rate on both with PIP. im sure we a number of years ago were talking about DLA and his last assessment didn't have a time on it, but did have a line about we may contact you in the future for more information. ive just read on the gov web site if your born before april 8th 1948 you will stay on DLA, anyone born after that will get a letter inviting you to apply for PIP.

M

mal blue moon

The where cases I heard of ,if a person had been section 3"d ,and they went into supported living or full time care ,they could keep there dla payment ,there was even people in secure mental hospitals trying to claim dla ,I think all of this stopped with pip ,.

N

nightmare57

I'm in supported living and got put straight into support group of ESA without a medical, still waiting for pip groupings ect.... I have been on 5 sections 3's in 6 years.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
remember one social worker saying help is only for people who've been sectioned and i doubt you've ever been sectioned, left me, ended up begging gp in tears to section me, you don't get sectioned by asking

I am deeply worried about the dla to pip transfer

i volunteered years ago when the psychiatrist threatened to section me, wish now i'd insisted on been sectioned

R

Rio grand

remember one social worker saying help is only for people who've been sectioned and i doubt you've ever been sectioned, left me, ended up begging gp in tears to section me, you don't get sectioned by asking

I am deeply worried about the dla to pip transfer

i volunteered years ago when the psychiatrist threatened to section me, wish now i'd insisted on been sectioned
As everyone seems to fall short of the requisite number of points and they arent looking to exclude everyone from these benefits logic would dictate that there are silver bullets.
And common sense would suggest that being sectioned is going to be towards the top of the list and anyone that has been sectioned and fails to mention it is a bit of a knob imho.
Being threatened is as good as being sectioned imho I think that you are entitled to tell a little white lie on this one occasion-like they are going to check.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
maybe i can say i volunteered when threatened with sectioning, if it's as good it's a thought, maybe it comes to the same even to the dwp clarks

S

sci31A

Why on earth anyone would ever want be or stay on benefits of any form or kind for prolonged period of time?:scratch: Is beyond me. :BLAH:

Unless you had !absolutely! no choice at all. :BLAH: Living off hand outs.....

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
sometimes you have little choice if your ability to work is limited you then face stigma in the workplace, part time work is seen as a route to full time by the dwp and eventually you'll be pressured into something you can't cope with

And i'd rather not assemble dollls at the psychiatric rehabilitation assoc on the grounds thats work

S

sci31A

Agreed. It's fair enough. When a person has no choice. :BLAH:

I have met a lot of people in my travels though that are just damn lazy... living of benefits & hand outs, slouching around, to lazy to work, and just being trouble makers is a way of life for some...

I've been on JSA for 4+ months after being let go from work. I hate it! No independence, having to live under some one else's roof. (n)

N

nightmare57

Agreed. It's fair enough. When a person has no choice. :BLAH:

I have met a lot of people in my travels though that are just damn lazy... living of benefits & hand outs, slouching around, to lazy to work, and just being trouble makers is a way of life for some...

I've been on JSA for 4+ months after being let go from work. I hate it! No independence, having to live under some one else's roof. (n)
Well that's your problem I have met many people in my travels too who no fault of their own are disabled and unemployable that have to jump through hoops just to get the benefits they're entitled too. These people might look like their coping on the outside the best they can but you don't know what internal turmoil they go through with the worry of benefit sanctions. ect.

S

sci31A

No doubt. There is always great diversity. And there is no doubt probably additional diverse people & situations surrounding such income & support....