Dizziness due to anxiety or vice versa.

M

Mdeey

Hello,

I just came across this forum and it looks like the perfect place to discuss some thoughts.

I've been dealing with anxiety for about 5 years now, which I didn't know until a year ago. I’ll skip that part for now..
So for the past 2 years I’ve been experiencing these weird balance issues. Now I hear you thinking; “dizziness is like the number one symptom of anxiety”. I know, but I have this extreme feeling that this is caused by something else. “Ok, typical for anxiety disorders, thinking physical complications have their own cause. Hypochondria?”.
I am aware, I’ve had these radical thoughts in the past; brain tumor, cancer, etc. This is different, not just because I’ve experienced this for years, so please stay with me.

I mainly want to see if there’s anyone with the same kind of balance issues together with a pretty much similar anxiety disorder.

So for me, my anxiety and overall mental condition is way better than it was. I don’t have (major) panic attacks anymore, no dissociation, no radical thoughts as said earlier. Just a lot of stress. That’s when I’m at home at least. And, without work or nearby-friends, I’m always home.
As soon as I go to the store, panic kicks in; sensory overload, too much light, people, sound, smell. So I rush through the store.. Worst part is checkout, I can’t wait when I’m anxious.
It’s even worse when I go for a haircut. It’s hard to describe, to think about it even. There’s so much going on in my head, but it all comes down to realising every moment my ‘panic meter’ reaches 100, I have to jump from this chair - maybe give an excuse - and run outside.

It’s crazy how we have a panic attack going on, but apart from that also have to evaluate situations, consider possibilities and already experience the insane embarrassment.

Ok so for this weird balance thing. Unlike my stress/anxiety I experience this almost all the time, which is the first indicator. It’s the worst when I stand or walk slowly and it’s not always the same. Sometimes it feels like walking on air mattresses, or a dish that will rotate left or right when stepping on it. Sometimes it’s all fine but all of a sudden you drop (like taking an extra step at the stairs). Or the floor seems tilted.
Walking outside is no problem but after 30 minutes your legs are like shock-absorbers, just as walking on these big metal plates.
Now what’s typical for this type of dizziness is that I also experience it while lying down, but in a complete different way.
Now when I move any part of my legs it feels like my whole body makes a bigger move, if that makes sense. This also happens when I’m in a chair and someone/something unexpectedly moves this chair just slightly, it makes me ‘flip’ 3 times.
The more active this condition is, the more pain I feel in a certain part of my back. I can also trigger the same (false) feeling of movement when I press on that spot.

Long story short; I would describe it as a communication error between body and brain (proprioception). That’s why I think this is a neurological problem.

Anxiety related dizziness is generally near syncope (lightheadedness), which happens when your brain doesn’t get enough oxygen/blood. Makes sense.
I’ve had this due to hyperventilation and it’s definitely not it.
Vertigo, where you or your surroundings spin, is something else.
MdDS sounds similar, but is triggered by sea travel or other particular movement.

If your anxiety issues sound similar and you do experience dizziness, let me know what it’s like!
And feel free to ask for any more information.

Thank you.

M

Mdeey

I forgot the most important part:
Not only do I think this balance issue is something medical, but because of that, I think that it actually triggers my anxiety. As I can have a perfect day (mentally) untill I go outside, notice my legs aren't 'working' and I start panicking.

This is what I really want to figure out.
It does make complete sense to me: when there's no stability in the body, how does one stabilize the mind.

R

Ryann90

I forgot the most important part:
Not only do I think this balance issue is something medical, but because of that, I think that it actually triggers my anxiety. As I can have a perfect day (mentally) untill I go outside, notice my legs aren't 'working' and I start panicking.

This is what I really want to figure out.
It does make complete sense to me: when there's no stability in the body, how does one stabilize the mind.
Omg this is me I suffer from the same thing. It is really difficult have you tried any medication for it ?

A

Alecorn

Dear Mdeey,

I've just entered this forum but I'll answer you anyways...
In my case I've been like one year with a dizziness and instability when walking and, the most annoying one: the overreacting nervous system.

When I'm anxious (which was the most of the time and now a few hours a day) any minor movement (deformation of the chair, vibration of the train, irregularities of the floor) made me feel like I was going to fall but never happened, it's like an ilusion.

Additionally I went a lot of times to the doctor just to discard phisical problems and they never found anything weird, I'm healthy apparently...

The key question is that I noticed that I get worse when I'm in stressing situations (like oral expositions, meetings, etc) so this means that must be something psicological rather that physical.

I hope we can share some experiences,

A.