• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Disturbing sexual side effects of Abilify

P

PsychoPrince

Has anyone experienced a decline in sexual arousal and performance when taking Abilify or other antipsychotics? I have discovered that generic Abilify has had a negative impact on my libido and performance recently. I will not go into explicit detail unless asked by one of you for the sake of the moderators concerning this particular topic.

I hate the thought of having to go through life without a pleasure as primal as sex and am quite hysterical, believing I will no longer be able to have fun with the woman I hope to marry. Please help!!!!! :(

EdEd

EdEd

I dont either , couldn't really care about sex anymore either. So same.

N

Nukelavee

I guess it should be pointed out that, if I had a reason to have sex, I'm reasonably certain I could.

I just don't have much casual interest in it.

L

Lab rat

Funny, it’s had the opposite effect on me. I’ve only been on it a few weeks, I’m like a kid with a new toy! This is bringing on problems of a different type.

L

Lab rat

Olanzapine knocked the libido out of me, aripriprazole put it back. Now I’m all jittery! I haven’t been this randy alll the time except when I was on diannabol!

S

shanti

Has anyone experienced a decline in sexual arousal and performance when taking Abilify or other antipsychotics? I have discovered that generic Abilify has had a negative impact on my libido and performance recently. I will not go into explicit detail unless asked by one of you for the sake of the moderators concerning this particular topic.

I hate the thought of having to go through life without a pleasure as primal as sex and am quite hysterical, believing I will no longer be able to have fun with the woman I hope to marry. Please help!!!!! :(
Yes. Unfortunately. :low:

Foxjo

Foxjo

For me it increased my desire. Which is a nightmare as my husband who is 45 yrs old now believes hes too old for sex! WHAT? whats that all about? So im left frustrated.

Z

Zoroz

Abilify is like that. For some it reduces drive others it increases. For me it increased.

fazza

fazza

Are you taking anything else like sertraline or any other SSRI.
I really would bring this matter up with your doctor. He/she will be able to help and you should not suffer.
Hopefully a Med tweek will help.
When I went off sex I was not bothered about desire or performance as it was not on my agenda.

The fact that you are worried about desire and performance shows that you still want sex but perhaps the mechanical aspect and sensitivity are not working at its best so speak to the doctor as it sounds like your libido is fine.

For me some meds will just switch off that whole area and although desire/passion is there I am just left frustrated because I appear to be broken which made worse each time things don't work.

P

PsychoPrince

Are you taking anything else like sertraline or any other SSRI.
I really would bring this matter up with your doctor. He/she will be able to help and you should not suffer.
Hopefully a Med tweek will help.
When I went off sex I was not bothered about desire or performance as it was not on my agenda.

The fact that you are worried about desire and performance shows that you still want sex but perhaps the mechanical aspect and sensitivity are not working at its best so speak to the doctor as it sounds like your libido is fine.

For me some meds will just switch off that whole area and although desire/passion is there I am just left frustrated because I appear to be broken which made worse each time things don't work.
No I am only on 2.5g of Abilify per day. I am scheduled to see my psychiatrist next month and do plan on bringing it up with him. Also I am sorry to hear you are feeling broken and frustrated, I know that feeling.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Schizophrenia Forum 10