dissociative disorder

S

stressed carer

Founding Member
my husband was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with dissociative disorder,as a result of a bad case of selfharm (he nearly died)anybody else had any experience of this?

D

Dollit

We did have a couple of members who had DPD on board at one time but they seem to have drifted away. Does your husband have a lot of other people and are they all quite distinct? I can't imagine how stressful it must be for you to live with this. I know a little of this but just can't imagine how it must feel for either you or your husband. But like lots of other people here, I will listen when I can if you need to talk. :hug:

S

stressed carer

Founding Member
he has had the voices in his head for over 20years.he discribes it like babbleing in his head and cant usualy make out what they are saying.sometimes he talks to them though(mostly when he has been drinking )and starts to listen to what they say.they are who tell him to cut himself.

D

Dollit

What sort of help does he get from mental health services and what sort of help are you given? It sounds like a pretty destructive cycle.

S

stressed carer

Founding Member
he has a cpn and deals with the drug and alcohol team.they are helping him to try and stop drinking.

D

Dollit

That's difficult though - drinking (I've been in recovery 17 years) is a form of self harm sometimes (some may say always) and it is a difficult thing to stop even when you're well. Do you have any contact with Al-Anon for your self?

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
my husband was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with dissociative disorder,as a result of a bad case of selfharm (he nearly died)anybody else had any experience of this?
Hello and :welcome:

Do you yourself get any support ?

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Stressed Carer,

I'm sorry to read about your situation at the moment.

Have you contacted your GP about help and counselling for yourself?
I know that the APS (alcohol problems service) offer counselling to relatives,carers etc,it might be worthwhile asking your GP if there is anything available as you also need as much support as possible.

Good luck with everything (y)

S

stressed carer

Founding Member
i dont get any help.the cpn just comes to see him every few weeks,he asks me how things are going thats it.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
stressed carer

Hi,

There is a free advice helpline for carers 0808 808 7777 that may be able to offer some help.

There is also http://www.carersuk.org/Home this site offers links,information,and advice for carers in all parts of the UK.

:)

justme

justme

Founding Member
hi there i have that as a label as well as scizoprenia i can totally relate to people drifting away from here
i had forgotton i was a member untill i got a email
as for myself voices can be very nasty and make me not me
i really dont want to say who are inside me as i am eaisly identified by professionals as they say im a rare complex case great huh

i have 2 good voices who one has left me for a long time now and the other one doesnt pop by enough
my other voices are very demonic to me and want me to self harm i do find when voices are loud i go absent :( and lose myself to a void where i am the others with in me

i have found yellow sticky labels mobile alarms help to get myself back to me

its the blanks that hurt so much i am sure your husband has no memory of it as well

i tell myself i havent done the harm as i was lost unconciously its a fight to stay justme hence my name
i do not take drugs or drink but i can understand why your husband would 1 to beat the voices
2 to put his disaotion to sleep
im sure your doing your best and wish you goodluck

S

stressed carer

Founding Member
my husband has good and bad voices aswell.its the bad that tell him to harm himself.he doesn't remember doing it afterwards though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K People 1