• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dissociation unbearable after a therapy session

jems89

jems89

Hi everyone,

I have DID.
I see my therapist for 90 minutes once a week.
I feel grounded and I feel like myself before going in to therapy, but when I leave I walk out the main doors feeling like a little child lost in a big city. I feel confused, scared, disorientated, suicidal and feel unable to get myself home (20 min walk, 25 min train journey with 35 min walk when I get off).
I have told my therapist about this but he insists I am present and grounded before I leave the session, and he hasn't said much more on the matter.
Its now reached a point where I am dreading therapy because of how I feel and behave afterwards, I feel like I have no memory of getting home, or just very small glimpses or flashbacks and it's really worrying me.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

could somebody go with you to the therapy sessions and wait outside ,when the session is over help you get home?would that help you feel less scared do you think? lots of love from fairy lu xx

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Good suggestion from fairy Lu, I agree that might be something you could do if it's possible. I'm suprised your therapist is so dismissive about this, could you tell him you don't feel he's understood how worrying this is for you, and reiterate what you're experiencing, and tell him it's making you dread coming to therapy? I hope you can find a way to feel safer.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Agree with what others have said here - would be good if someone could go with you and it might be worth talking with your therapist again.

Another thing i'm wondering is if there's a cafe nearby?
It might be worth going in for a tea or something after your session, or finding somewhere to sit down for a while.

There's a grounding exercise you can do that involves sitting still and naming 5 things you can sense with your 5 senses..
So 5 things you can hear, 5 things you can see, 5 things you can smell, 5 things you can feel, and 5 things you can taste (I find 5 things that you can taste a more difficult one, so don't worry if you can't think of 5).

jems89

jems89

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Unfortunately due to the time of the appointment everyone I know is at work.

There isn't a cafe or anywhere nearby, it's quite out on a limb, the place I went to before was ideal as it was much closer to home and it was based in a community centre with a library, gym and cafe.

One thing i have thought of is that I could try calling the Samaritans as soon as I leave to help ground me, maybe just staying talking to someone might help.

My session is tomorrow so fingers crossed! Xxx

L

lovagemuffin

dear gems its is just brilliant that you do it its hard but you do it I walk home after therapy and I feel scared and lost let alone going on a train too the truth is what your doing is very very brave.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
W Need support or advice for depersonalisation that has has turned into dissociation identity disorder Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
lifecangetbetter stress induced dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
jajingna How is dissociation different from psychosis? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 19
Lance__ Helpful books about dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
A dissociation questions Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
G Dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 12
jajingna As long as there is trauma, there will be dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
D Maladaptive daydreaming and dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 9
brandothePSychopanda my dissociation problem (TRIGGER WARNING) Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6
Mouseling Losing time with dissociation normal? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 11
A Am I experiencing dissociation? It's scary. Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 19
U Does feeling like the world isn't real count as dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 4
S Difference between dissociation, depersonalisation and derealization ? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6
B Recovering from chronic dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6
T Is This Dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 5
S Dissociation? Trigger Warning. Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
Bluejay7500 Dissociation and myself Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 34
B Dissociation/DID Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
C CBT and Dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
jacquelinx I have poor vision and it exacerbates my dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 5
M Addicted to Dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 5
D being diagnosed possible dissociation disorder Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 25
L Anyone have or heard of a neurological cause for derealisation/depersonalisation/dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
Frida Peeple Dissociation During Positive Moments Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
NesterJones Out of Body Experience/Dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
Mr S I am right think this is dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 8
C Worried that I'm alone in this, scared this isn't dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
E Trigger Warning ! Dissociation, Out of body experience Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
E Partner with Dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 18
M Curing dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6
silentEden Examples of Dissociation vs Depersonalization vs Derealization Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 11
D Severe dissociation or something else Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 13
A Dissociation - Forgetting you can smile Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
Blindliness Dissociation? Need advice or someone to relate to Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 5
R DISSOCIATION 🍄 Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
S Is this dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
Heidrun Your struggles and coping with dissociation/depersonalisation/derealisation. Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 7
starryskies Is this dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 4
V Dissociation and relationships Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
D Dissociation...? But doesn't quite fit the description Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
E Lost a day to dissociation, how to get the memories back? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 16
P Dissociation making dating unreal Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 3
B Some simptoms of dissociation/depersonalisation/derealisation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 20
M Dissociation coping skills Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6
F Dissociation for 3 Years Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
Tabitha Dissociation and fear of going out Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 2
D How does everyone here cope with dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 4
W Does anyone else find dissociation to be like a coping mechanism? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 9
T Dissociation Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1
blurrypeach Is this dissociation? Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 19