• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dissociation and myself

• Thread starter 00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)
  • Start date
jajingna

jajingna

I would never used it as a coping skill
Not a learned skill, is it? More of just a "natural" mechanism the brain uses -- like the fight or flight or freeze response, it's just there without ever being learned as a survival instinct, and for animals too. People don't intentionally dissociate, do they? It just happens.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Not a learned skilled, is it? More of just a "natural" mechanism the brain uses -- like the fight or flight or freeze response, it's just there without ever being learned as a survival instinct, and for animals too.
I’ve had such emotions when dissociating. I just go blank so yea my brain will freeze and I almost want to scream.

I feel like something is kicking the crap out of my thoughts. And then I reseed and dissociate.

it’s so difficult talking about it cause of my ptsd. One can go hand in hand...

I just think of pleasant thoughts and try to keep quiet about it. It scares the living sh*t
Out of me!

Slick

Slick

I believe dissociation is a learned skill due to many factors . I started as a child to flee pain, hurt, neglect, as I got older it became easier and easier to "Leave the room" if I couldn't handle whatever was going on. i.e. being abused,abandoned, neglected, emotionally hurt, a very close loved one passed away...many traumas , many reasons for dissociation...I don't do it intentionally...but I believe in the back of my mind where everything hides it's normal at this point to just leave...I have a lack of memories of many years of my life, flashbacks...fears...I have no few of it, it has been a coping skill since I was a child...I am 67. Have been in therapy most of my adult life off and on, have learned a lot about my PTSD and how it works...I work on it daily....am happy, calm and in peace most of the time but do still suffer from extreme anxiety at times...still don't sleep well sometimes for months...I wish everyone peace and the strength to pull themselves out when they need to..

Lance__

Lance__

Hi Scapes, I hope you can feel better soon :hug: I really believe it's possible to recover from DR/DP. Years ago I used to suffer from it every day but now it only appears at certain times and events, mainly when I'm with my parents.

About what you mentioned here, it caught my attention because it ressonates with me, but I'm not sure if it is the same that happens to me.
my memories are depleting due to the fact that I’m starting a new chapter in my life. My surroundings are definitely different my actions are definitely different so that make my identity different?
In my case for example, when I go to my hometown to visit my family which is 7 hours far from where I do live now (city B), the memories from the city B become very very far, and I lose the feeling of attachment I have to the 'life' I have there. Even though I have a job, a rent to pay, friends, etc. I realize how easy would be to abandon everything from that life when I'm in my hometown, because it's like all the attachment is gone. My behaviour and thought also change depending on where I'm living in that moment. And the same happens when I'm in city B, that everything from my hometown seems to be very far.
Is it similar to what you were describing?

I could see how it can be both. Mine feels like I’m unaware of my surroundings. Like I can’t get a handle on things. But I’ve learned a lot since I’ve dissociated. I even finished school while having this. Some days I wish I could get rid of the symptoms I have. Other days I know it’s helped me figure out the rest of my mental health and helped me remain enlightened.