• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dissociating in therapy

C

Confusedpuzzle

Hey im new to these forums so hope people actually reply lol. I've started trauma therapy recently and I am really struggling with dissociation. It happens multiple times a session, which we do use grounding techniques to get out of, and one time I felt like a child which was the weirdest thing ever.

I do generally feel quite numb and disconnected in life but I haven't recently been seriously dissociated so I don't get why it happens so much in therapy and feel like I'm almost faking it? Does anyone else experience this different in and outside of therapy?

Littlevoice89

Littlevoice89

Hi @Confusedpuzzle

What you’re experiencing is completely normal and understandable.

I started trauma therapy about 6 months ago and in the first few months in particular I experienced a lot of dissociation, therapist has learnt to spot when she’s losing me now and helps distract and ground me.

What you’re doing in therapy is hard work and your reaction to it is as I say very normal but if it gets to a point where you’re not remembering anything that’s discussed in sessions and/or your feeling like you’re getting worse then please tell your therapist.

Littlevoice89

Littlevoice89

Worth noting that dissociation was a coping method I developed to escape the bad stuff as a child, so for me it’s very easy to slip back in to that state when stressed. Maybe that’s the same for you??

MollyBloom

MollyBloom

Hey im new to these forums so hope people actually reply lol. I've started trauma therapy recently and I am really struggling with dissociation. It happens multiple times a session, which we do use grounding techniques to get out of, and one time I felt like a child which was the weirdest thing ever.

I do generally feel quite numb and disconnected in life but I haven't recently been seriously dissociated so I don't get why it happens so much in therapy and feel like I'm almost faking it? Does anyone else experience this different in and outside of therapy?
I have dissociated a lot during my therapy sessions. I think it’s normal. I normally blacked out and I could’t speak and I didn’t know what my therapist was saying. It was like an out of body experience … These are defense strategies when it becomes too much for your mind. They will disappear when you are progressing in your treatment. Good luck!

C

Confusedpuzzle

Worth noting that dissociation was a coping method I developed to escape the bad stuff as a child, so for me it’s very easy to slip back in to that state when stressed. Maybe that’s the same for you??
Yes thats what they are suggesting. I just don't remember much from childhood so trying to figure out why.

C

Confusedpuzzle

I have dissociated a lot during my therapy sessions. I think it’s normal. I normally blacked out and I could’t speak and I didn’t know what my therapist was saying. It was like an out of body experience … These are defense strategies when it becomes too much for your mind. They will disappear when you are progressing in your treatment. Good luck!
Yes hopefully they will reduce or atleast make more sense why they are happening. Sometimes we aren't even talking about anything "traumatic" and it still just happens.

jajingna

jajingna

Like others have said, it's probably a defense mechanism, the mind protecting itself. It doesn't enjoy going to dark places where it's hard to see things clearly. It would rather get away from the uncertainty, the confusion and pain that those dark places hold. Even when you aren't talking about traumatic things, it's trying to keep you safe from going there, from going in deep when it isn't ready to take the plunge. Maybe you need slow and careful footsteps into those places that are uncomfortable to visit.