• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dissasociation and BPD

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yep very good article, gosh yeah i forget some times, and a big chunks of memory are gone= compared it with years ago when i could remember.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Yes, I found that very helpful too, so thankyou very much for posting the artcle link up.

I get it a lot. The only way that works for me, about 65% of the time anyway is talking to myself as if I were instructing myself. I know it sounds crazy but it can work. Thinking it doesnt work, writing a list can help, but saying it out loud is the best.

I am doing it this morning for example and it goes like this:

"right, now go and hang the washing up to dry, on the radiators and on the washing line. It may rain but just put two things out"

"next go and do the washing up, you know how much better you will feel with less clutter over there"

"you didnt get your bath last night, before you get dressed you must go in the bathroom and at least wash"

I am trying to persuade myself to actually shower and wash my hair, but I am resisting. I am not schitzophrenic, but it really feels like it sometimes as because of the dis-association from myself, the only way I can contact myself is to role-play that I am "my own boss telling me what to do" in bite size bits. One thing at a time.

This can prevent me zoning out, or hitting the bottle and zoning out chemically instead.

I use "treats" and rests - like now answering this post. This is my treat for hanging the laundry up!

Next the washing up. But all of it it a sneaky ploy of avoiding the real issue of the day......... the dreaded paperwork!

What methods do others use to avoid or cope with disassociation?

Love to all,
cloudberry

dib4uk

dib4uk

Dont know about anyone else, but, when I talk in my head i tend to refer to myself as you most of the time. Even when talking aloud I tend to say, "right you need to do this and that"

Does that happen with anyone else? Even when i'm cross and angry at myself I tend to say "you're stupid, you're lazy!" etc.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I get totally confused and usually miss chunks of time or think I am in a different situation - I refer to myself as you but I also have voices doing the same.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I get totally confused and usually miss chunks of time or think I am in a different situation - I refer to myself as you but I also have voices doing the same.
Yeah that happens to me as well, not all the time but it does happen. I dont know about you but my "voice" inside my head has always been a man. The other voices are different.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Yes, I talk to myself in the second person - as "you" (not "me"). But I think it works better as I cant motivate myself, so I adopt a strategy of "telling myself what to do" to circumvent the apathy. Hence calling myself "you" is appropriate.

Its my voice when I hear it in my case. I keep it my voice by actually speaking out-loud. I try not to do it in public, but do lapse when very stressed. When it gets that bad I know I have to get home or to a safe place fast.

My keep-safe mantra is more first-person - "I'm fine, I'm fine". If I get really panicky it becomes "you're fine". As if an outside entity is reassuring me.

I thought quite a lot yesterday about "splitting" (disassociating) as I "split" in the morning following a phone call with my father. :mad::mad::mad:

Bloody parents!!!