• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Disputing diagnosis and advice given by those in authority.

L

Lilac

People in authority are really weird. Where I say and always have said I am well the advice I am given by people in authority is to ask the gp to arrange a second opinion. I doubt that these people in authority have ever had to go to their gp to ask for a second opinion if they are feeling well so it is weird that they would suggest it. And we are meant to have our voices heard but I don't.
Also the appointments/drugs I am forced to take are not meant to be compulsory but the consultant in charge of my detention won't respond to emails/phone calls/complaints and so I have to attend/take drugs even though I am not sectioned and I have no rights to a Manager's Meeting or Tribunal. So I have no rights and the consultant/gp/family couldn't care less. They don't want me to have rights or be well. They are not winners.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
But if you are not under a section or CTO, and you don't want meds and you feel well, can you not just ask to be discharged? If you get someone like an advocate to write on your behalf the consultant will have to respond, and should also make sure your rights are being upheld.

L

Lilac

But if you are not under a section or CTO, and you don't want meds and you feel well, can you not just ask to be discharged? If you get someone like an advocate to write on your behalf the consultant will have to respond, and should also make sure your rights are being upheld.
Thanks TC. It's a good idea. I am feeling like I might ask the gp for a second opinion too. Have a lovely weekend. RIP Leonard Nimoy - died much too young. xx

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks TC. It's a good idea. I am feeling like I might ask the gp for a second opinion too. Have a lovely weekend. RIP Leonard Nimoy - died much too young. xx
Thanks, Lilac. A second opinion would be a good idea. That's how I got my diagnosis overturned, I hope it works out for you. Let us know what they say. xx

coldwater00

coldwater00

I agree with what Crumpet said but yeah these professionals are very weird.

When I went to my meeting at the hospital to meet psych/cpn for CMHT I asked if they thought I was mentally ill. They said well we don't see you that way. I said ok then why am I sat here? In a psychiatric hospital ffs, been harassed to come here and engage and they won't tell me why I'm sat there.

Then the psych said they were monitoring me for psychosis, not sleeping, and drinking too much. So much for that, I've ignored them and can be discharged in a month.

L

Lilac

But really second opinion doctors, the CQC and advocates don't have to go to the doctor if they say they are well so no one should. Just because a bad doctor says you are ill and won't listen to you and basically doesn't want you to be well you have to go to the doctor or see an advocate that isn't right at all. Plus the advocates just say that some women spend their lives in detention and that's when people have the right to leave. Doctors are never truthful the number of times I haven't been given my rights and the doctors are massively unsuccessful. One has to spend one's life in detention because one's father (who is insane) says you aren't right in the head and a man who blatantly wants one to be ill? Not right, not me who said I wasn't well but it is me who doesn't get listened to. Those mental health staff aren't winners they just want people locked up for life. The doctor detaining me (even though I am meant to have the right to refuse appointments/drugs) won't contact me to say they aren't compulsory and won't respond to me after she and her office sent me an appointment for a date I have never been told about and won't respond to let me know when she wants to see me and won't acknowledge that I have refused her. She is not caring and is not a winner.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't really understand your situation tbh. You are out of hospital and working yes?

Are you on a Community Treatment Order? Or section 117 Aftercare? Because if neither of them apply then neither the doctors nor your father can force you to attend treatment or take meds, unless there is something else you are not telling us - and of course you don't have to if you don't want.

coldwater00

coldwater00

Lilac, I don't understand what you are getting at either, you often start threads like this, but it doesn't really make sense unless there is something you are not telling us or you are unaware of a restriction you are under that requires you to take medication.

You are not required to accept or take medication by law unless you are on a CTO or have specific restrictions after a criminal conviction.

Unless you are on a CTO (Maybe you should double check with your doctor if you are or not) there is no reason a doctor can impose on you and force you to take medication. Do you understand this? Sorry to sound patronising, just slightly confused/frustrated.

If you don't understand what is expected of you then get an advocate to communicate with your doctor and you can sort it out once and for all.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

I think it's vital to dispute diagnoses you take issue with.

One wanker of a consultant diagnosed me as having ASPD in 1997 and i'm still experiencing the negative ramifications of it. :(

L

Lilac

I don't really understand your situation tbh. You are out of hospital and working yes?

Are you on a Community Treatment Order? Or section 117 Aftercare? Because if neither of them apply then neither the doctors nor your father can force you to attend treatment or take meds, unless there is something else you are not telling us - and of course you don't have to if you don't want.
Seriously I am not on CTO or any section and yet I am not being allowed to refuse drugs/appointments. I keep trying. No restriction I am told of that means I have to take drugs. They have done this before. This is the third time they have done this. I had to ring again this week and last week to say I don't need/agree with it but I just get no response. The advocates haven't helped before they have only told me that some women are on Risperdal for life. I note they don't say the same about men. The hospital just gets away with it because although they should deal with complaints PALs don't and no one wants them to.