• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Discrimination and abuse by a teacher because of my mental health problems

?

>.<

Discrimination and abuse by a teacher because of my mental health problems

Ok well I'm 15 and doing my GCSEs. I have this one teacher who hates me. I miss a lot of school because of appointments with my pdoc and psychologists, and she accused me of being "a pathetic attention seeker, theres nothing wrong with you, stop being so pathetic." in front of the WHOLE CLASS. She always picks on me in general as well.

I'd been off school for a week ill with feeling dizzy and collapsing, and I needed a drink because I felt faint, and she wouldn't allow me to get one, and told me to "grow up and deal with it."

My doctors spoke to her, and they told me that she says she "feels disturbed" by having someone with MH issues in her class, and it makes her uncomfortble.

Then, in class, I was getting confused about drawing a graph, because as well as having mood problems and anxiety ( docs not sure if its unipolar or bipolar), I'm also dyslexic and get confused as to what goes where. She shouted at me "THERES NOTHING TO BE CONFUSED OVER, ITS EASY. YOUR JUST ATTENTION SEEKING AND WASTING TIME. GET ON WITH IT". I was also feeling a bit odd because my thoughts were kind of racing so I was finding it difficult to focus. I asked her for help again and she said "I'm too busy, go away." Then she came over to me and shouted at me some more for not working. I tried to explain that I didn't feel up to it and that I didn't inderstand, she just had a go at me.

So I started drawing to calm down, because I get really creative and it helps me get my emotions out so I don't react as dramatically. Then she comes over to me AND SCREWS UP MY DRAWING!:mad: I lost it at that point and started having a go at her and telling her she has no right to treat me like this. She sent me to the head and I'm now in loads of trouble!

What can I do about this? My pdoc has spoken to her before, my parents have tried to, and NOTHING IS WORKING. She's really p!ssing me off now, because this is descrimination. Any tips? thanks

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
yes your parents could make a formal complaint about her to the school as its not acceptable.

emski

emski

The behaviour of this teacher is unacceptable. You and your parents can report her to the headteacher, if that goes nowhere there is parent teachers association, local authority, department for children schools and families. If this is not addressed then your school could techically be in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act

iffybob

iffybob

I agree that behavyour was common 25 to 35 years ago when I was a school , and it was demmed unacceptable over the years ... it should never have be acceptable ....

.. she is behaving in a childish and unprofessional way .. and should definatly be reported to an authority that can repremand her .. and not just have a quite word .. the first place would be for you parents and any health professional to make an "official" complaint in writting to the head of the school , if that does nothing look into legal action ... as this is abuse ....

... for your part .. keep a seperate diary and after class detail any and all incidents .... as evidence , so you dont have to rely on you recolection ...

.. good luck .. take care .. and rember .. you dont deserve to be treated this way .. and you dont have to put up with it ...

W

Watercolours

Yes I agree a complaint needs to be made to your head, if not by your parents then by you... your old enough to write a letter (making if look official) and handing it in to your head of year and the head of the school and also even the local authority and make an official complaint of this teacher. She should not be allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour, not only is she degrading you in the class in front of other pupils and your friends, she’s is breaking the rules of the Disability Discrimination Act by (a) not supporting and recognising your mental health problems and (b) the fact you need extra help because you have dyslexia.

She is wrong on many levels and should not be allowed to get away with it.

benkenobi

benkenobi

you'd have a very strong case under the DDA, Health and Safety legislation and the Protection form Harrassment Act (1997), the fact your psydoc etc have spoken to them and could testify to the makes your case pretty much unanswerable. Your teacher is highly likely - and I think should - lose their job (and possibly be prevented from teaching again) in teh event of a court case. this is worse because of the position of authority this person is in - they are clearly opening up their own prejudices onto you.

S

starfish

teacher

i was shocked when i read your post. i agree that action against this teacher must be taken.good luck.:hug:

S

suzy

I am shocked too, I think writing a letter to your head would be a good idea, even include dates of events and back up from classmates if needed. It's not acceptable

It's her job to teach you not to judge you

K

Katie84

I am so angry right now! How dare she! i wish i lived near you i would march in to that school and tell her what i think of her!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hope your ok, make sure you keep a diary of whats happening and get your parents to make a formal complaint, its hard enough being ill without teachers making it worse especially when your so young, i was 16 when i started with bipolar and i am 25 now and i still struggle xxxx

A

Affective

This is completely unacceptable and she deserves to lose her job. If it were me I'd probably have a screaming match with her but I suggest you don't do this, just reply calmly and show that you are better than she is. Inform your parents, school governors and the Head Master.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I'm a teacher myself (or was :cry:) and I think this behaviour is extremely unprofessional. She should be severely reprimanded, at the very least, by the General Teaching Council. In the first instance I think a formal complaint to the head, with a copy to the local authority, would be very appropriate.

I wish you all the best :hug:

?

>.<

Thanks for the support everyone! Thats really helped, I wondered if I was overreacting at first. :grouphug:

Sorry for replying late, I haven't been able to get on a computer till now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 25