• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

discontinuing venlafaxine

megirl

megirl

I am so depressed at the moment. My psychiatrist has kind of given up on me (and I have given up on her and currently want to kill her) I have decided to stop the bloody venlafaxine which clearly isnt helping me anyway I am on 450mgs of it. Has anyone else discontinued this how slowly or rather how quickly can this be done.
I am going to start decreasing this tomorrow

amathus

amathus

If you are going to reduce Venlafaxine in particular, you need to be very careful and maybe seek professional advice in doing this.

Venlafaxine is a very difficult anti- depressant to come off, the side effects can be awful.

I suppose if you go it alone, the reduction needs to be a slow , steady process.

To be fair, you might not have any problems at all, but it is advisable to be aware.

Take care,

meteos.

megirl

megirl

Well I have got thru two days without it! The headaches are so severe I am OD'ing on painkillers to get rid of them now I've got brain shocks ouch! Its kind of giving me some satisfaction doing this to myself. Cos I dont care anymore

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Venlaflaxine is a nightmare to come off, I certainly wouldn't try it. I've run out of them a couple of times and forgot to get more and I've vomitted rings round myself and had blinding headaches. If you are serious about wanting to come off them I'd speak to your psych but by the sounds of it if you still want to end it all then you're a long way off coming off of them I'm afraid. Good luck xx

megirl

megirl

I'm not doing too bad the mixture of painkillers and probably lack of venlafaxine had me vomiting this morning but the headaches gone and I have managed to keep some food down I've only got brain shocks this afternoon which for me are quite cool really. I am certainly not giving in and going back on it why take something thats not working? My husbands ringing my support worker tomorrow cos I've been really down but she has tol me that they are going to start distancing themselves from me as we are only going around in circles so fuck them too, thats the reason I am taking this into my own hands