• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Discharged from services.

I

Iamthebadwolf

Hi. I'm being discharged from mental health services in January. They say that we are meeting to discuss it but have obviously made the decision already. Part of me thinks what is the point of going to my last few appointments. But I really need help. I can't begin to imagine what it is going to be like without any support. Any ideas?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Do you have a friend/relative that could go with you to this meeting? If not, is there a mental health advocacy service in your area?
I'm sorry that they're trying to discharge you when you don't feel ready.
I can remember my CPN suggesting trying to discharge me several years ago, and it was a huge shock, because I wasn't ready in the slightest. They ended up not discharging me.

I do think it would help you if you had someone there who could back you up and put your point forward. As much as I don't like to say it, you probably could be more easily bullied by the professionals if it's just you. Whereas if there's someone there on "your side", they seem to take you more seriously.

Hopefully some other members here might have some more advice for you too.

porkpie

porkpie

I'm sorry about how your feeling about being discharged, I felt really rejected when I was discharged because I wasn't ready, I have rejection issues from childhood so it hit me hard.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It must be awful being told you are being discharged when you sound as though you should not be. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been under the mental health services care? Are some of your worries due to fear or is it just that you still need help? If the latter, I would stress this and ask them why they are considering discharging you. Tell them you don't feel ready. Better still, do as SomersetScorpio suggests and take someone with you to relay this, if possible. Whichever way, still go to your next appointments.

If they do discharge you and you are finding things a struggle, your doctor will still be able to refer you again.

I

Iamthebadwolf

Thanks for your support. It's been about 5 years. They say that I need time to try coping on my own and use the skills I have learnt in therapy. But I don't think I have learned much of any use. Yeah some is fear, but it just don't think I can cope. I have rejection issues too. They mentioned rereferal in the future but want me to do at least 6 month on my own. Doesn't seem that I have much choice.

Grape

Grape

Hi. I'm being discharged from mental health services in January. They say that we are meeting to discuss it but have obviously made the decision already. Part of me thinks what is the point of going to my last few appointments. But I really need help. I can't begin to imagine what it is going to be like without any support. Any ideas?
I'm so sorry. That must be so upsetting for you. I've always discharged myself, i've discharged myself about five times lol usually when angry with the psychiatrist! I think things are changing now compared to when i first went into the services at 17. I think the new thing is CPN's in your GP practice. At least it is like that where i live now. You see this CPN at your surgery ocne a month and don't see the GP for anything mental health related, and don't get referred to CMHT but rather signposted to counselling, anger management etc. I think times are just changing now. CPN's don't keep people on their books long, not here anyway. I can understand why you are upset, if you still need them. But they will hopefully signpost you to other forms of support?

U

utter madness

I know how that feels I've had no support for 10 months now it was ok to start of with but now I'm struggling bit u simply refuse to go crawling bk to a mh system that is crooked with people that don't care and r only there to pay there mortgage and turn there nose up at me cause because they say I have a personality disorder which I dispute all I can suggest is u tell them ur not ready for discharge c what they say it's common for mh patients to be treated this way

I

Iamthebadwolf

Thanks everyone. I want to say stuff it to them all but the lady I see is nice. I think I have to try without them but will talk to gp. They keep saying it is a recovery service. But improved isn't recovery. It's more of a thanks very much good bye service. If your offered Act therapy, I wouldn't bother. It's 3 months waste for little comeback.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

If you feel you have no choice but to be discharged, then I would just recommend staying in close contact with your GP. If you feel yourself getting worse, make sure they know it.

You never know, even though it's probably scary and daunting, being discharged might turn out to be a good thing. At least you will know what you are able to cope with and, if you need to be referred back, what you particularly need help with.

Good luck.

M

Meredithmay

Hi, I can understand how you feel about a possible discharge meeting. It would be different if you could be involved in the decision as to whether the discharge should go ahead.

If you think it should not go ahead just yet then clearly state why and what you need from them.

At least this way you will feel less powerless. It is supposed to be a mutually agreed process.

I posted something similar a few days ago. My discharge is not imminent just yet but if it was I am not sure whether I would want to attend.

Good luck, Mm

E

echo66

Hi Iamthebadwolf
Sorry to hear of the dilemma you are in; it's hard being discharged when you don't feel ready and still need support. I would seriously reconsider not attending your last few appointments though, even though it might be the last thing you feel like doing. If you still need help and support, the best way to get that across is to turn up in person and tell them, if you don't attend, it will just look like you can cope alone and they were right to discharge you.

Kind thoughts.
Echo