Disabled researchers book exposes corporate demolition of welfare state

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Disabled researchers book exposes corporate demolition of welfare state

Disabled researcher’s book exposes ‘corporate demolition of welfare state’

"A string of activists, academics, politicians and journalists have welcomed the publication of a new book by a disabled researcher which exposes how successive governments have planned the “demolition of the welfare state”.

Mo Stewart has spent eight years researching the influence of the US insurance giant Unum over successive UK governments, and how it led to the introduction of the “totally bogus” work capability assessment (WCA), which she says was designed to make it harder for sick and disabled people to claim out-of-work disability benefits.

Stewart’s book, Cash Not Care: The Planned Demolition Of The UK Welfare State, published this week, argues that the assessment was modelled on methods used by Unum to deny protection to sick and disabled people in the US who had taken out income protection policies.

She says in her book that the WCA was “designed to remove as many as possible from access to [employment and support allowance]on route to the demolition of the welfare state”, with out-of-work disability benefits eventually to be replaced by insurance policies provided by companies like Unum.

She warns that the UK is now close to adopting that kind of US-style model."

burt tomato

burt tomato

I may read that book at some point. I found the premise mildly disturbing, but I am not that surprised.

Seems typical of government and their attitude towards those who are sick and disabled.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Looking like an attack on us to be honest an extreme form of corporate capitalism,make money out of those who haven't a pot to piss in!