disability mate crime

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i get friend requests on facebook from people i don’t know, i wonder if they’ve picked up i’m vulnerable and are trying to befriend in order to take monetary advantage

last night i had someone really banging on the door, i don’t want to answer when i’m half asleep, but again i wonder if iy’s people knowing i’m vulnerable and hoping to take advantage

maybe paranoia i’m quite stressed after the trip to brum and maybe a bit over suspicious

mentioned people banging on door to housing officer she said what do you expect me to do about it felt like saying it’s a safeguarding issue and part of your job, but saying that isn’t likely to get me help

maybe things will settle down, my friend from that hostel is in a care home because he couldn’t cope, they pushed an extreme form of independent living, gather he was the victim of disability mate crime

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Close your FaceBook account. The next time someone bangs on your door, call the cops. You need to be safe. :nod2:

N

nightmare57

On my facebook account I have everything on privacy settings and when I get a friend request from somebody I don't know I look through their account and their friends to see if I know any off them. I just block them if I don't know them. I only have 39 friends on FB and I know everyone of them personally. I never add anybody I don't know.

I let staff here deal with anybody who knocks on the door.

Whats pissed me off though is that my supported living company has many other properties and at some of them the support staff walk around town with services users wearing their I.D. badges swinging around their necks openly. I think that makes services users vulnerable. We have many people with learning disabilities being support by the company and they do go into town on their own so its easy to associate them being with supported workers and easily befriend them and take advantage of them. The company told them not to wear their badges now.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Close your FaceBook account. The next time someone bangs on your door, call the cops. You need to be safe. :nod2:
call the cops when someone bangs on my door in the early hours then wait up for them to arrive possibly all night if at all

my facebook account i'm not sure about closing, and whether i know how

Drooo

Drooo

Yes, go into your settings and change them so that you don't get deluged in unwanted friend requests. The seemingly random ones that you get aren't necessarily people targeting you specifically, they're mostly bots that are out there mining data. Just ignore them, don't accept them. Personally, I think Facebook is the devil (not literally) and should be avoided at all costs.

People banging on your door could mean anything from someone needing help, someone needing to retrieve something from your property, someone getting the wrong address, or just an overly enthusiastic fundraiser etc. It doesn't always have to mean something sinister and is far more likely to not be so. So no, don't go calling the police just for someone banging on your door, there's no need for that (sorry Fubarlady).

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Yes, go into your settings and change them so that you don't get deluged in unwanted friend requests. The seemingly random ones that you get aren't necessarily people targeting you specifically, they're mostly bots that are out there mining data. Just ignore them, don't accept them. Personally, I think Facebook is the devil (not literally) and should be avoided at all costs.

People banging on your door could mean anything from someone needing help, someone needing to retrieve something from your property, someone getting the wrong address, or just an overly enthusiastic fundraiser etc. It doesn't always have to mean something sinister and is far more likely to not be so. So no, don't go calling the police just for someone banging on your door, there's no need for that (sorry Fubarlady).
i'm talking about people reallly banging in the early hours of the morning, it could mean anything thats the problem

Drooo

Drooo

It could, and that's the point I'm trying to make, it could be anything. Did you look to see who it was or did you stay away?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It could, and that's the point I'm trying to make, it could be anything. Did you look to see who it was or did you stay away?
i told one support worker i went to the window and heard some women laugh he advised against as they could throw something through the window, i don't want to answer half asleep

B

Boring

where i live, people usually dont befriend mentally ill persons. no amount of money is worth being near a "crazy person who might harm you," from their perspective. at the most, its probably offenders harassing you because of your mental illness.

and yeah, the facebook thing happened often to me to. i think it happens to a lot of people, regardless of mentality. its just some spam thing that facebook does. i closed my facebook account, actually.

N

nightmare57

It is well know that people do befriend people with learning disabilities to exploit them. its actually a big thing. People with learning disabilities are suggestible and easily exploited. Its not a big thing in my town but in more larger and deprived areas it happens alot especially now that social services budgets are being cut and people with learning disabilities are having to jump through more hoops to access services.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
people with autism call them monday morning friends as they turn up on monday when they're benefit money is paid in take them out and spend it

it's not that simple i've had neighbours ponce money off me, problem neighbours but they get housed next door, one used to borrow money it was easier than having a scene made but it added up sometines tell me sob storys about why they need money then that evening they'd be stoned telling me how wonderful dope is