• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Disability Living Allowance Appeal

D

disctitle

Hi This is my first Message and if there is anyone who can help it would be great. I am just a week away from my appeal and for me it is getting very hard to get past all the negative parts that are starting to pop up.It has took me 10 months to get to my first hearing and I have aperson from CAB who is comeing with me.They lost my appeal notes the first time that is why it has taken it so long to get to this point. they had gave me the wrong date which was last week so the list goes on. The point is after reading all the notes fron dss I have found that the two decision maker's reports are word for word the same. They were done 3 months apart does this mean that the same person did it or another person did it. Can I bring this up at my appeal.

Thaks for looking

disctitle

D

Dollit

MIND, or one of their advocates would be able to tell you about the technical points of your appeal. I've never been through the appeal process, unfortunately I'm very definitely entitled. Perhaps someone else has some ideas. And welcome.

A

Apotheosis

Hi disctitle & :welcome:

here is a very good web site

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

There are guides here as to what you need to do to be successful on appeal; there is a registration fee to access the full guides - but if it helps you may feel it is worth it. Hope that can be of assistance.

D

disctitle

Apotheosis

Dear Apotheosis
ta very much for your message and yes I have looked at that site but will try others ways to find the answer if there is one.

all the best
disctitle

D

disctitle

Dollit

Dear Dollit,
will try mind and see if there is someone that I can talk to . my rep. only works on Wednesday and sometimes it hard to get him. But thankyou for your time.

disctitle

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Disctitle. Sorry but I have no experience of DLA (but I'm supposed to be putting in an application for it soon - my key worker thinks I should be able to get middle rate while I think they'll just tell me where to go!). What I can do though is to say welcome to the forum :welcome:! I hope you find it as friendly and supportive a place as I have done. Do keep posting, I would love to hear how you get on with the DLA me being very sceptical for myself!

Take care and good luck!

D

disctitle

honeyquince

Hi honeyquince,
Very glad to get your kind words to me about hope. We need it from time to time to try and get past the first hill. All I can say to you is that I will tell you what happens and if you are not in you can not start the race. Get all the reports you can doctor,hospitial if you attend. It took me a few months to get all my medical notes and I have four written letters from professional people to help me.I go in with a 50-50 % of winning and I have a rep. from CAB to help me to place my case before them.

Once again Thankyou

diasctitle:clap:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Wow - now I really don't think I've a hope inn hell!

D

disctitle

honeyquince

Hi honeyquince,
Yes there are times when I have said not me this time but when I know deep down in my heart that I am right I go for it. You are the only one that can do it its not your fault that you have a illness. You have the support of your support worker and from all on this site I am sure. Go for it what can you loss sometime I know it hard to fill all the forms in but as for me I put it all on tape and my wife done the form for me from what I said on the tape. You have a right as a person to be heard.

All the Best

diasctitle:clap::grouphug:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Welfare rights told me that the majority of people get refused 1st time , but go straight back in with an appeal.
I got mine 1st time , but that was with them sending their dr out to see me.

My OH got refused ........... he did a 3 page appeal letter , they sent their dr out to him & he got it.

Good luck to all who apply or have to appeal (y)

S

Starbright

I'm so lucky I've had it every time, no appeals necessary. I've just this last week had it confirmed that I can have it again.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Well done Starbright! Must be lovely not to have to justify yourself beyond the application form.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I made my initial claim over 4 years ago after being pointed in the direction of DLA from a DWP supervisor (I did'nt know anything about DLA at the time).
I was refused at first but succeeded with a 'written' appeal which took around 4 weeks to sort out.

The claims form is quite detailed with the type of questioning involved but I feel I have helped my case by providing as much 'extra' information as possible,whether it's medical evidence from my files or just simply an explanation in my own words of how I am restricted by my health situation.

Good luck to anyone making a claim at present (y)

S

Starbright

I think the trick is to imagine yourself at your very worst and fill it in as if you're like that since you're supposed to do it as if for your worst day, and then in the bit that asks about fluctuating conditions, explain in there. That's what I did and I've got it every time. I've filled it in now twice for myself and both times been granted it. I think it helps that I would need someone to guide me and watch over me if I were psychotic because I attempt to kill myself and am totally away with the fairies so a lot of the parts get filled in, inlcuding being unable to cook for myself etc. I hope this info helps someone!

D

Dollit

You get it for the same reasons I do then Starbright - because I can be a danger to myself. I hate the forms and having to reapply regularly. I sit and cry when I fill the forms in because I can't believe what I've become.