• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

disability benefit

R

raceyc64

I have suffered panic attack now i have been told that sufferers may be able ?o claim disability does anyone know if this is true/

M

mrsg1980

Hi, it all depends on how it affects your everyday life, what you cant do because of your attacks, i have agoraphobia and depression i hardly leave the house and i was awarded low rate mobility to help me get around

one thing is for sure though is it cant do any harm in claiming, if you feel it would help you then go for it hun x

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
go for it

hi first of all get floating support (an advisor) to help you fill in the form
the person will be trained infilling the form properlyand you will have a better chance getting it
:goodluck

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
panic attacks

You could claim DLA low rate mobility if the panic attacks cause problems in strange and unfamiliar places.

"
guidance or supervision on unfamiliar routes - You can get this if you can walk but need someone on hand to guide or supervise you. If you are blind, have learning disabilities or are mentally ill you are likely to qualify for this rate. The test is based on your ability to cope with unfamiliar routes (for example you may be able to find your way to your local shop but become confused, lost or anxious if walking in a strange place). "

You are likely to need a diagnosis of panic disorder or other anxiety disorder in which panic features and to have a clear problem with these activities which need to be well explained. Often these things have to go to appeal the first timke a person claims but its worth claiming.

From Disability Alliance guidance

W

woosy

hi

Dragon has answered your question well but dont tell them you cant get out of the house as you wont get it. You need to show you can only go outside if you have someone with you for comfort and reassurance and if you didnt have someone with you you wouldnt go out Good luck(y)

B

bburns

I was approved for ssdi under my parents as a child in US under age 22. However, sadly if you marry you can not claim ssdi again only ssi unless you have work credits. This is what I was told. I am not sure how it works in other areas of the world.

The whole process in US is for one word "tiresome". I mean you have to have a stack of DX from a handful and even then you may get a rejection letter. Plus, it has to totally effect your ability to have gainful employment.

I have agoraphobia, (ie housebound at times, not leaving for weeks). My attacks were so severe at one point I had my therapist come to my home for appointments and this is almost unheard of in most cases. I also had an adverse reaction to a medication and the nurse came to see me as well. I guess being a prisoner in your own home is quite "disabled" not being able to even buy your own food or walk to the mailbox without almost passing out.

Well, that is my story and yes. I was approved it took a few years and getting a lawyer. I chose to marry and now can not get ssi because my partner makes enough income for the family. But, heath insurance is a huge problem for us.

Good luck! :)

ladyblues

ladyblues

I only recently became aware that I may be entitled to DLA and after applying I was awarded high rate personal care and low rate mobility.

I would say if it worth a try and I know that appeals are possibly if your refused. Your GP may be willing to provide supporting evidence for your claim.

I actually applied for mine online as I am not confident with form filling so this option would be available to you

Good luck