Dirty washing germs

P

Phil10

My mum was at her house and done a dirty washing she then visited my house and sat and touched my table and sofa after not washing her hands I fear these items are contaminated by these germs?

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

The fact that she does a wash is good.

Unless she is living in squalor, which I doubt, there would be no difference in the germs that were already there already before she came over to your house.

P

Phil10

The fact that she does a wash is good.

Unless she is living in squalor, which I doubt, there would be no difference in the germs that were already there already before she came over to your house.
Yes I know some people maybe don’t wash there hands after doing a dirty wash but for me I see it a risk of germs spreading and items being ruined? It’s hard to control what people do though?

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

It won`t ruin items, unless of course it leaves a mark and needs washing again.

Obviously germs are everywhere, you can`t escape them. As long as you are washing, cleaning, preparing food in the correct way etc, things will be kept to a minimum.

You cannot eradicate germs, there needs to be a certain amount around for our benefit.

Excessive germs are a different matter.

P

Phil10

It won`t ruin items, unless of course it leaves a mark and needs washing again.

Obviously germs are everywhere, you can`t escape them. As long as you are washing, cleaning, preparing food in the correct way etc, things will be kept to a minimum.

You cannot eradicate germs, there needs to be a certain amount around for our benefit.

Excessive germs are a different matter.
Yes I don’t fear harm from germs I mean maybe I don’t even want rid of the germs it’s like a perfectionism thing I hate peoples touching my stuff I have like a thought that it’s ruined, spoiled or needs replacing. So yeah I think I need help with the perfectionism thing as it’s not the germs which trouble me as such

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

I understand about your personal possessions.

How about, perhaps, a wipe down with an antiseptic wipe, might help you feel better.

P

Phil10

I understand about your personal possessions.

How about, perhaps, a wipe down with an antiseptic wipe, might help you feel better.
Yeah I could try that

However I have had a bad habit for years of replacing items when stuff like this happens. Lately I quit because I would buy something new and withthin minutes think it’s dirty already so I had to quit this compulsion. Dirty laundry and any toilet related germs cause me most anxiety for years ive been unable to deal with them without feeling anxious. My partner touched my rucksack after touching her dirty suitcase washing my reaction was to sell the expensive camera and iPad inside that bag and never use my headphones again. This is how my ocd seems to behave..

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

That is an expensive habit!

You really need to see your GP about this.

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

I don`t know, but what your doing is going to make a hole in your pocket.

Possibly he can make referrals to other mental health advocates that may help you.

P

Phil10

I don`t know, but what your doing is going to make a hole in your pocket.

Possibly he can make referrals to other mental health advocates that may help you.
I spent £300 on private Cbt and that never helped the gp has refused me therapy for years so always have to go private.

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

Sounds like you need to change your GP if he is refusing, unacceptable!

P

Phil10

Sounds like you need to change your GP if he is refusing, unacceptable!
I moved house three times in 3 years and I have been to three different gp practices I also have a psychiatrist for a bipolar breakdown each time I have been told no Cbt. I have been left with no choice but to go private and spend a fortune. To make things worse most private Cbt therapists in my area have gone up in price and now charge £45-60 pounds per session.

P

Phil10

Does anybody else wash there hands when touching dirty laundry?

P

Phil10

Today I have struggled to touch the drawer handle on my table because she touched the dirty washing I fear I will transfer those germs?

E

Elleanor

Hey!

I understand you! Dirty washing is a big OCD trigger for me and I'll wash my hands excessively afterwards as well as multiple times during! I also have thrown away what must now be £100s in stuff because I thought it was dirty after being touched by an "unclean" item or hand.

All I can say is, it's tough as hell. But you aren't alone, I know exactly what this is like! I'm not a mental health professional and I can't offer you advice, but I can empathize like crazy.

Like the previous response said, professional help is the best way to go, but if that option is not available to you, try getting hold of some reading material written by professionals. Look up some books and research the authors to make sure they are actual medical people. I have a few books that really helped me!

I

IlanaD37

I clean my hands after touching dirty laundry. Especially because you touch underpants. I wash my hands when I am about to hang out clean laundry as well.