• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dilemma

V

vimes

hey, would like your opinion.
I have been referred to a pdoc now again after being free from them for some 15 years. I'm refered because of my past history. I'm not ill but I'm very stressed at work.
I have problems with my coworkers and management. They keep watching me and framing me. I have lots of proof, it's not a delusion. I'm afraid to discuss it with the pdoc as I'm certain he will jump to the wrong conclusion and tie it in with my history.

The thing is that this is what is causing me distress, I need to deal with it constructively so I don't lose my job. I need to deal with the stress and not digging up the past like they keep doing.

How can I best get them on board with that without getting the whole "you're just delusional" treatment?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

The only idea I really have is to explain to your doc how you're feeling - that you're scared off being told you're delusional and that you really need their support in this situation.
If you make it clear to them that you acknowledge how you've been in the past but know this current situation is not a delusion, hopefully they'll not be so quick to judge you? Just an idea.
I hope that whenever your appointment with the doctor is, you are taken seriously and they don't make presumptions based on your past.

V

vimes

I have met him twice now and he is just focusing on the past still.
I'm terrified that he is going to think I'm ill again. I can't stand going through all this again.
He's already said that there is "clearly a disorder".
I don't know what he means, he wouldn't elaborate. He is just doing the whole pleasant collaborative pdoc thing.
"want me to write you a ***"

Gajolene

Gajolene

Him recognizing it as a disorder doesn't necessarily mean a delusional disorder, he could be referring to an anxiety based disorder or a mood disorder, any number of things. Has he suggested any referals for counselling in addition to the meds he's offered?

V

vimes

Yes I'm already in counselling and he wants me to meditate, I haven't really told him anything that he could identify as a delusion. I'm being very careful very cooperative as far as it is reasonable. I don't want the meds.
I thought he would just meet me once and say there was nothing wrong with me, just that I'm stressed and need counselling.

V

vimes

I was sent to the pdoc by my psyc. I have been so careful to tick all the healthy boxes and say all the right things and he still wants me to take meds and see him regularly in addition to the psyc. I don't want to talk to a pdoc. I'm healthy, highly functional, just a bit stressed. I have a lot on my plate, I don't want the past dug up. I made a considerable effort to put it behind me. I wont accept the meds until he makes and actual diagnosis.
I don't dare not seeing him as I don't know what they will do if they get it in their heads that I'm being non-compliant.
I just need to manage this pdoc somehow, gain control.

T

Trainur

Let him know that for a thought to be a delusion you'd have to have an unshakeable belief ie desire for it to be true. Let him know you'd love to believe your coworkers aren't putting the blame on you for things. It's common behaviour especially if you're the mental one. Life is truly shit. Why use the doctor for this stuff? Why are you seeing the doctor? Just have back up plans if you lose your job, try and get these people fired (yeah, get devious) or try and get them on your side and to stop doing what they're doing. Perhaps you could antagonise one of them to hit you quite badly (to get them fired) perhaps if they're bad at their work and blaming it on you, you could try to make them real experts at their job. You could get movie level devious and try and make him physically sick so he has to take time off work. Though just befriend them even more - probably best thing to do.

Try to get a different doctor - a gentile, listening, let's you decide doctor. Not sure if my advice is great because I don't know how the doctor relates to the job. Oh right you have to see him for some reason due to non compliance. Try to get out of that situation first. But still how does he relate to the job. Don't tell him about the job if you're already trying to get away from this doctor and think it'll backfire. You have two tasks don't you, getting rid of doctors and these workers.

Last edited:
V

vimes

You have two tasks don't you, getting rid of doctors and these workers.
That about sums it up very nicely, thanks Trainur :cool: