• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Digital Anorexia

S

*Sapphire*

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionl...lippa-anorexiea-eating-disorder-bulimina.html

Ralph Lauren has apologized, but that doesn't mean blogs or feminist groups are about to let go of the grotesque retouch job on a fashion shot that makes the model's waist look like it was squeezed into an illegal torture device. Her hips appear narrower than her head, as blog Boing Boing pointed out, and her thighs look like they came straight from a classroom skeleton. The clothing company eventually confessed to the mistake, saying it was having a bad Photoshop day.

But now the National Organization for Women is demanding a further apology, to women everywhere for the company's alleged obsession with portraying extreme thinness, and preferably also to Filippa Hamilton, the model in the ad who was fired by Ralph Lauren after years of being one of its top models. Hamilton said the clothier found her 120-pound girth on a 5-foot-10 body -- translating to a size 4 -- too bulky to fit into its sample sizes. The company denies that's why she was fired.

Meanwhile, the blogs are gleefully showing off another photo, reportedly also Ralph Lauren, showing a pretty model with a bizarrely thin, elongated, hipless body, like the aliens in "Cocoon." Never fear, E.T. Your short legs and dumpy midsection will never qualify you as a Ralph Lauren model -- that is, not without emergency Photoshopping -- but NOW is holding its fourth annual "Love Your Body" celebration next Wednesday.

D

dreambuggieII

Thanks

For that information.

I don't usually follow this condition, but you've made me more aware of things. Through your blog.

S

*Sapphire*

That's okay dreambuggie, I'm glad you are finding it informative, although everyones experience of it is very different. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Anorexia and lies Eating Disorders Forum 10
R Bulimia and Anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 4
SmallAngel Anorexia Treatment Eating Disorders Forum 2
SmallAngel Help for anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Need Free or cheap help with my anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 7
S Hey i'm new here and trying to recover from anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 22
A anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
A Body Comparison and Anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 3
A Having Anorexia Nervosa Eating Disorders Forum 2
S I am a survivor of Anorexia Nervosa, and forever will struggle. This is my story... Eating Disorders Forum 6
J Body image and Anorexia with my running Eating Disorders Forum 1
T Testimony - A rather fast recovery from anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 4
M Anorexia vs Hypothyroidism Eating Disorders Forum 5
J 18 years with anorexia and bulimia Eating Disorders Forum 9
Inter Vivos I don't have a diagnosis of anorexia, but... Eating Disorders Forum 4
Inter Vivos I now know why I have had anorexia. Eating Disorders Forum 3
S anorexia recovery poems Eating Disorders Forum 2
A Am I considered anorexic if I have atypical anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Do you still 'have' anorexia if you're in recovery and no longer underweight? Eating Disorders Forum 8
R My partner has anorexia and bipolar disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 7
K I have relapsed back into Anorexia and need advice or even just a chat... Eating Disorders Forum 6
Kerome Louis Theroux among anorexia sufferers Eating Disorders Forum 3
R Anorexia Recovery, Possible OCD Eating Disorders Forum 2
P Wife has left me after anorexia and binge eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 6
K Anorexia just manifesting itself in a different way.... or something else? Eating Disorders Forum 5
T Anxiety/depression/anorexia/bulimia/OCD Eating Disorders Forum 3
2 Help me with 69yr old mum with Anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
M I'm not sure what to do about girlfriends anorexia/mental illnesses Eating Disorders Forum 1
G anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
W is this what anorexia feels like? Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Trying to beat Anorexia...Again Eating Disorders Forum 7
F The antipsychotic drugs don’t work for anorexia nervosa Eating Disorders Forum 7
F Medication versus placebo for anorexia nervosa: antidepressants, antipsychotics and hormonal therapy Eating Disorders Forum 3
F First results of a refeeding program in a psychiatric intensive care unit for patients with extreme anorexia nervosa (trigger?) Eating Disorders Forum 2
K something in between anorexia and bulimia Eating Disorders Forum 5
F UCLA study shows that people with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder have similar brain abnormalities Eating Disorders Forum 1
A Does this sound like Anorexia? Because I'm not entirely sure... Eating Disorders Forum 1
F I don’t want an A for anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 1
RainbowHeartz anorexia to bulimia to binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Anorexia Help!! Please Eating Disorders Forum 6
A.m.b.e.r Hit.Rock.Bottom - Anorexia Relapse/Recovery Eating Disorders Forum 2
L Pubescent changes as a catalyst for anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 2
M Feeling lost over anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
S Anorexia since I was 16 Eating Disorders Forum 2
J Anorexia to bulimia to binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 3
S Anorexia breakdown, please help Eating Disorders Forum 6
A Risk of anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 3
A.m.b.e.r Scared Anorexia will come back to haunt me... Eating Disorders Forum 3
W Wife with anorexia with binge/purge subtype Eating Disorders Forum 3
S GP reactions to anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 13