• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Digesting Diagnosis

M

Meadowlark

Hello everyone. Ive been lurking for a while, since my therapist suggested schizophrenia was my issue a couple months ago.

Since im not having a psychotic episode currently i swing between relief at having an answer and terror at what the answer was.

Mostly relief.

I have many questions but my bravery is running out.

Ill be around and thanks for the help ive already found here.

L

Lab rat

I used to run up against people reacting with horror when I was first diagnosed, but not so much now. In fact it’s now so socially acceptable that it’s even on my cv!

Passionflower

Passionflower

Hi Meadowlark welcome to the forum. I have the diagnosis of schizophrenia and go from relief at having a diagnosis to denial of it.

M

Meadowlark

Here’s one of my many questions.

A voice has been speaking to me (often cruelly) for 8ish years. It was always there and now it returns occasionally.

My therapist is a psychologist, (can’t prescribe) and I haven’t been completely honest with her...

Anyway. She suggested I think of, or refer to, the voice as “it” not “him”.

Saying “it” makes me burst into tears.

Have no idea what this means or if I can take any of her advice seriously since I’ve downplayed things.

Was this a question?

:)