• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Difficulty swallowing and schizophrenia.

S

salim

I discovered that difficulty swallowing is a symptom of schizophrenia, as I found that the esophagus is pulled down due to the nerve.

The treatment is not to treat the esophagus, but rather to relax the associated nerves.

N

natalie

This is where, I itake Pregabalin for anxiety for most days, this helps me out immenseley to feel very relaxed, for capsule taking the Pregabalin. I can't swallow pills for the life of me, and yet, I have just about learned to swallow capsules.

Best regards.

jajingna

jajingna

Sometimes when feeling anxious I've had food get caught in my throat, really unpleasant, needed to force down water to cough it up. Have to eat slowly.

S

salim

I wish you a speedy Recovery.

L

Lab rat

Not a problem for me. Sometimes I amuse the grandkids by swallowing whole hard boiled eggs.

I guess different folks are effected in different ways.

EarthChild

EarthChild

I have problems swallowing when I'm anxious and then sometimes food sticks in my throat and causes a panic attack. I cannot swallow pills whole unless they very small. Capsules I open and put the powder in my food. Tablets I break in half and bite in quarters before I can swallow them and sometimes even that takes a few tries.

S

salim

May God heal you.

E

Elisante

I have problems swallowing when I'm anxious and then sometimes food sticks in my throat and causes a panic attack. I cannot swallow pills whole unless they very small. Capsules I open and put the powder in my food. Tablets I break in half and bite in quarters before I can swallow them and sometimes even that takes a few tries.
Same here. I don't suffer from schizophrenia though.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Thought it was just me that has this problem! 😳
Yeah I find it very hard to swallow dry foods. I have to take a sip of water with my food to help me swallow. I'm fine with fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes etc) and things that are moist e.g. Pasta with lots of sauce.

jajingna

jajingna

I find it very hard to swallow dry foods.
Yeah you gotta be careful with those, eat slowly, chew well. Sometimes I will eat too fast, or too much at once (big mouthful), sometimes this is related to feeling anxious. It's something I've only had happen in recent times really, with the anxiousness business interrupting proper eating technique..