• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Difficulty relating to neurotypical people - just me ?

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

I dont know if this is a thing with PD people in general or just me but i have a difficulty making friends with neurotypical people.

Not that im better, but i can't have a conversation without having to pretend to agree with some opinions. Not for fear of displeasing, but because I feel that my opinions are not in line with the culture.

It is difficult to explain, but it is as if the things that matter to normal people to me seem futile.

As a result, almost all my longtime friends have some kind of PD /mental health problem.

I have a girlfriend ( for 9 years ), she is neuro typical, i love her and all, but
i feel that the most profound conversations I had in life were with other people with PD.

J

JeanPierre

well, likely neuro typical ppl would find you taxing so I wouldn't.....

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

well, likely neuro typical ppl would find you taxing so I wouldn't.....

Again.. I'm not saying that neither is better ... just different.
I Dont have a problem with people at all, I just can't relate.
But if it's just me, maybe u are right.

J

JeanPierre

Sorry I was kinda joking.
In general ppl enjoy being with other ppl who are like themselves;
whilst enjoying each individual's quirky differences.
*perhaps idk what real neuro typical looks like so probably not helping....Lol

Dark Rose56

Dark Rose56

I find most people boring except for casual small talk. Maybe look hard for an interesting person who is congenial to you.

J

JeanPierre

I find most people boring except for casual small talk. Maybe look hard for an interesting person who is congenial to you.
I hear you. So young.
You are going to learn that everyone has a story.
An important one woven into the fabric of life.

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

I met some people like that, but they are generally not NT.

M

MHFPokeplantz

For me I AGREE, I have these difficulties, I PRETTY MUCH gave up on trying to interact more deeply w Neurotypicals. It just DOESNT work, doesnt go ahead, its like each w its language, w its word, we cant relate to each other, the values are different, the opinions are OVERLY different, etc, the talk doesnt go much far and ends up superficial

Overall I feel LESS disconnected w disordered people, one of the reasons I LOOOOVE here (and other places too)
:goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck:

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

For me I AGREE, I have these difficulties, I PRETTY MUCH gave up on trying to interact more deeply w Neurotypicals. It just DOESNT work, doesnt go ahead, its like each w its language, w its word, we cant relate to each other, the values are different, the opinions are OVERLY different, etc, the talk doesnt go much far and ends up superficial

Overall I feel LESS disconnected w disordered people, one of the reasons I LOOOOVE here (and other places too)
:goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck:
nice to know that im not alone.
where else do you go ? i just know this forum. ( btw tambem sou brasileiro :p )