• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Differentiating Anxiety and Attention Deficit Disorder- Inattentive Type

S

sixxdegrees

I have recently been really struggling with pretty severe attention and concentration problems. I start tasks and jump from task to task before finishing any of them. I have trouble listening and retaining information also. When it gets really bad I can't sit down at all I have to keep moving, I have to be DOING something. It almost feels painful to actually sit! Part of me wonders if I have ADD or if this is just symptoms of anxiety?
I will bring it up to my counselor tomorrow and see what she says but I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with ADD as an adult. What was your experience like?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Anxiety i thought was more associated with Autism, but i only have a basic understanding.

I have bipolar disorder and often i am as you describe. Much of my family is the same, and are always talking, moving, up and down room to room, cannot sit and watch telly for for more than 10 minutes. I was never assessed for ADD but would probably have met the criteria.

Are you taking medication at the moment? Sometimes an antidepressant can make me even worse.

Helpful things for now might be turning off music and telly, not using social media hardly, shutting the curtains to make it a bit darker when the sun is bright.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Upset Stomach Anxiety - anyone else experience this? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
L Is Anxiety pain real?? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
L My anxiety/panic experience Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 23
S Meditation for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Daybreak Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
D Feeling cold because of anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
H Bedridden for over a week with severe anxiety/panic post COVID infection Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
pjb15201 Increased panic and anxiety since pandemic rules lessened ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
T Anxiety attack experiences Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Scg Anxiety physical symptoms Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 21
F Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
S Anxiety when circumstances suddenly change Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
S Stomach cramps with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Anxiety = stomach problems and IBS Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
Darwin the fish Weakness in arms and anxiety attacks Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Is it possible to fix this anxiety / depression? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Tawny Helping yourself with your anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 0
MrBond007 Anxiety attacks over things that are completely normal for no reason. +Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Tremors and muscle trembling from anxiety? Sad and scared! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety Hypochondriasis and Agoraphobia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
R Crippling anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 47
R Severe anxiety triggered by my children’s health Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
R The Difficulties of Anxiety and Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
R Anxiety through the roof Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Midnight.Panda Bad anxiety about everything Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
J Who to talk to about my anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
K I feel so alone with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
M Broken glass Anxiety, please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Acute anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
FloofyPuppers Pristiq for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
dogmom Anxiety is back. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T Abandonment issues/separation anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Does anyone get Physical Symptoms due to anxiety. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 39
I Healthy anxiety anybody have cherry angiomas Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Jam1990 Generalized Anxiety that leads to paranoia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
J Am I the only one on the planet or do others also experience occasional pain in heart for a second, centre of chest with ecotpics with anxiety? ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
L Please help me, I reached breaking point again. (VERY LONG TW:ANXIETY, SUICIDE, DPD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
E This anxiety right now is silly Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
G I have a cure for anxiety think I can help you IMO Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 15
G Anxiety in my chest feels like a craving Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 11
Faith198 When did you realize you were suffering with anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 17
M Public speaking anxiety linked with childhood trauma? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S do i have anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
A Anxiety is suffocating me... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
S Anxiety and what it feels like to you Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
S Anxiety and eye floaters Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 34
H Anxiety ruining my days Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
D Anxiety ruining my stomach. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
E Acne due to anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
P Anxiety Disorder without feeling anxious or panic? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8