difference between ptsd/cptsd and bpd episodes?

G

Girl interupted

Ptsd comes from one big trauma. Cpstd from several. Bpd usually many over prolonged periods of time.

Ptsd and cpstd traumas have a definitive start and end. Bpd usually is over a lifetime, with the bulk of the trauma happening in childhood.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

PTSD isn't necessarily from one big trauma.I was diagnosed with it even though I went through 17 years of SA and other traumas during childhood.I wasn't diagnosed with CPTSD because it's not in the DSM(I live in the US).

CPTSD is from prolonged repeated trauma.It can be in either childhood or in adulthood,such as someone that's in the military for many years. Or someone in a long term abusive relationship.

BPD is and can also be caused from trauma in childhood but from what I have read it's supposed to be what a child develops sometimes instead of PTSD(or cptsd).

The symptoms of BPD seem to me to be much like ptsd(or cptsd) and I'm not sure really how the differences are derermined.One of my siblings has BPD but I have PTSD yet we suffer similar symptoms

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Ptsd and cpstd traumas have a definitive start and end. Bpd usually is over a lifetime, with the bulk of the trauma happening in childhood.
I have never read or seen that PTSD and cptsd traumas have a definitive start and end.Both make a person more susceptible to further abuse and trauma throughout their lifetime.Ive never read anything like that about BPD either.

I love reseaech,can you share some links with that info?

Flameheart

Flameheart

but what about the episodes both have, are there any differences there

like are the triggers different or similar and the response to them happening

because ive been wondering whether my episodes are normal for someone with bpd or if it leans more to the ptsd spectrum even though i dont think my childhood would fit the ptsd diagnosis

Flameheart

Flameheart

we had a head of year who had ptsd and he'd have an episode i think cos he'd yell at students who didn't really deserve it to the extent, but theres been times ive yelled at my mum and had episodes aimed toward people as well that were uncontrollable at the time

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It's possible you could have both BPD and PTSD(or cptsd).

I really think episodes are kinda similar though,being overcome with emotions.The link I posted seems to explain the difference pretty well I think.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

it seems the only obvious bpd symptom that stands out from ptsd is intense fear of abandonment
And that BPD symptoms seem to be triggered by internal things while PTSD(or cptsd) from external things.For example my seeing a specific type of car would trigger me while someone with BPD would be triggered by what's going on inside of them,feelings and thoughts of abandonment,etc.or something(?).

IDK really

Flameheart

Flameheart

And that BPD symptoms seem to be triggered by internal things while PTSD(or cptsd) from external things.For example my seeing a specific type of car would trigger me while someone with BPD would be triggered by what's going on inside of them,feelings and thoughts of abandonment,etc.or something(?).

IDK really
that makes sense, sometimes i overthink myself into having an episode

G

Girl interupted

I have never read or seen that PTSD and cptsd traumas have a definitive start and end.Both make a person more susceptible to further abuse and trauma throughout their lifetime.Ive never read anything like that about BPD either.

I love reseaech,can you share some links with that info?
It was part of the training I did with the PTSD program I was in. They told me PTSD was tied to a definitive place and time, while bpd stemmed from prolonged abuses.

But the internal vs external makes sense, too.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

As with other mental health disorders, the causes of borderline personality disorder aren't fully understood. In addition to environmental factors — such as a history of child abuse or neglect — borderline personality disorder may be linked to:
  • Genetics. Some studies of twins and families suggest that personality disorders may be inherited or strongly associated with other mental health disorders among family members.
  • Brain abnormalities. Some research has shown changes in certain areas of the brain involved in emotion regulation, impulsivity and aggression. In addition, certain brain chemicals that help regulate mood, such as serotonin, may not function properly

Borderline personality disorder - Symptoms and causes

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

that makes sense, sometimes i overthink myself into having an episode
I do that sometimes too and trigger my PTSD.Its interesting how many symptoms are similar.Like I could probably take an online BPD quiz and it would likely suggest BPD.

But the traumas I experienced and my symptoms were at the level that fit the criteria for PTSD.

Interesting for sure.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I took an online quiz for BPD andI was surprised to get results that said
It's Not BPD, but You May Want to Seek Therapy
I was surprised because I thought symptoms were similar to PTSD but apparently not.I didn't really relate to the questions asked.

Poppy2014

Poppy2014

Staff Member on Leave
It's possible you could have both BPD and PTSD(or cptsd).

I really think episodes are kinda similar though,being overcome with emotions.The link I posted seems to explain the difference pretty well I think.
Yes, I have BPD and cPTSD, I read a lot around both conditions and can see more cPTSD and less BPD, but I know I have both.
cPTSD, causes flashbacks of certain phrases, which are attached to feelings and thoughts of inadequacy, fear and not being worth it.
It takes me back to the times when things happened when I hear or see things.
BPD, is the product of it, its the emotions the out of control behaviour, the loss of self identity. For me they run side by side, one wouldn't exist without the other.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Yes, I have BPD and cPTSD, I read a lot around both conditions and can see more cPTSD and less BPD, but I know I have both.
cPTSD, causes flashbacks of certain phrases, which are attached to feelings and thoughts of inadequacy, fear and not being worth it.
It takes me back to the times when things happened when I hear or see things.
BPD, is the product of it, its the emotions the out of control behaviour, the loss of self identity. For me they run side by side, one wouldn't exist without the other.
Having PTSD is such a struggle for me at times,I can't imagine how hard it must be having BPD along with it

Hugs