• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Difference between paroxetine and citalopram (or any SSRIs) ?

N

nowhereland

So I used to take paroxetine, but I stopped a couple of months ago. Now I've been given citalopram instead. For anyone who's taken them both, are there any noticable differences between the two?

I'm wondering mainly about side effects - should I expect the same sort of thing as when I first started on paroxetine? Is there that much difference between the effects of different SSRIs on the same person? I assume there must be something different about them, other wise they'd have the same name, but from googling it it's hard to work out what exactly that difference is. I just want to be prepared (as much as I can be).

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Prozac made me agitated jittery in fact lost the plot on it and my CPN said citrlopram is a calming anti depressant its so much better:)

N

nowhereland

Paroxetine made me agitated too, and very hyper at times. To be honest I was looking forward to the hyper part as it was kind of fun. ;) Sometimes it went too far though.

I guess I can't really expect the same side effects at all then, going by what you've said (I haven't taken it yet). I hope it doesn't make me too calm, I was hoping it would make me more motivated to get on with things.

Thanks for your response. :)

E

Easy Rider

Last edited:
N

nowhereland

Well I'll reply to my own thread in case anyone in the same situation comes across it later, and because Easy Rider has just reminded me of its existance. ;)

Not the same effects at all. Totally different. In fact the citalopram doesn't seem to be doing anything at all, and I've been taking it a bit over a week now. I guess it's still early days, but so far a completely different experience to when I started on paroxetine.