• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Difference between borderline personality disorder and borderline personality complex?

A

Ashem

Difference between borderline personality disorder and borderline personality complex?

Hey guys,

I'll keep this as brief as possible. Around 5 years ago I saw a psychiatrist about some trauma-related issues from the past and how they were affecting my relationship at the time (fyi we're still together). At the time, for reasons I can't remember, I didn't bother to look at what he'd written in my referral notes, however upon discovering them recently I noticed that he'd written "I'm of the belief that she is suffering a borderline personality complex".
I'm just curious to know if anybody else has come across this term before? I have a bachelor degree in psych and have never come across this. Is it just that at the time I was possibly displaying some of the traits of a person with bpd without actually qualifying for a full diagnosis? Not once was it mentioned that I had bpd, and the psychologist I was referred to treated me with cbt and exposure therapy for some of the triggers I was experiencing (more like you would for PTSD).
I believe I'm currently in a rather healthy place in terms of my relationships with people and consider myself a fairly consistent and placid person, albeit a little introverted.
I can't seem to find any literature on this topic and it's kinda doing my head in as silly as that sounds. Any thoughts/knowledge would be eternally appreciated.

Thanks!

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
:welcome: Ashem

Sorry, I haven't come across it either, maybe you're right in thinking it means displaying traits but not qualifying for a full BPD diagnosis, I don't know. Good to hear you're in a healthy place at the moment, and it sounds like you got appropriate help for your symptoms which is the main thing. Hope you find an answer to your question.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I haven't heard of that either, but I think Alice's guess that it means you have traits but not 'enough' to fully meet the diagnosis.
But, am wondering if there's a chance it might have said complex post-traumatic stress disorder or have been an abbreviation for that?

Sorry I can't give an informed answer.

A

Ashem

No problem! Looking back, I do think my symptoms were more consistent with complex PTSD, but I guess because it's not formally recognised is any diagnostic manuals they couldn't really assign me that label. It definitely said borderline personality complex in the notes, so I guess I'm just going to have to accept that that's the best they could come up with at the time. I've since been diagnosed with major depressive disorder multiple times, with no indication of BPD from any of the mental health experts, so I guess this one will just have to remain a mystery.