Difference between being informal and sectioned inpatient

W

whitesummer

hi guys I was just wondering the difference between being an informal and sectioned inpatient? I have been an informal inpatient before but now I'm being sectioned. Is there any difference in the way you are treated? Thanks :)

Last edited:
M

Melchy

I assume this is in the UK. At least, that's what I'm basing my reply on.

Informal means that. theoretically, you are free to leave whenever you want. When you're sectioned, you're not allowed to leave without their permission. I'm a bit perplexed as to why you say '.... now I'm being sectioned.'. You either are or you aren't.

As far as treatment goes, you will receive the same inpatient treatment, but you may find that they keep a closer eye on you to ensure you don't abscond.

Never ever do a runner. It opens the flood gates of problems. They will track you down. Nb. They can only take you back in if the section is still active. Eg. If you are on a three day section, then after the three days they can no longer detain you. But don't put it to the test.

W

whitesummer

Thank you, Yeah I am on section now they were just doing my assessment.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think informal means you still have to stay in hospital but they aren't going to section you,you are not free to leave if informal not by any means they still have powers over you to make you stay.Voluntary means you are there of your own volition and if voluntary they have no power in law to make you stay,you are free to leave anytime if voluntary and they have to section you or make you informal if they want to keep you in against your wishes.

V

Viktoria

So voluntary and informal isn't the same?
I think the system over here in the Netherlands is very different.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you can be informal or voluntary but if you try to leave the nurses have the power to keep you there for say the night until a psychiatrist is available and you can then become sectioned

I was a voluntary patient, decades ago in those days i heard they kept a drawel full of signed sectioning papers in case someone tried to leave at night when no dr was available, looking back from the behaviour of the nurses there was such a paper on me, though i'd only find out if i insisted on leaving, now the nurses have the right to keep people in until a psychiatrist is present and you bet on it they won't take responsibility for letting people leave.

Theres aftercare advantages to been sectioned, one social worker said help is only for those who've been sectioned and i doubt you've ever been sectioned, at the time when i was harrassed it would have been a offence to abuse someone commited under the mental health act, as i had never been it wasn't

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mental Health Experiences 2