• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Diets.

K

KShiz

Has anyone seen any sort of special diets for anxiety?

Or has anyone felt any better after cutting out certain foods etc?

Kirst x

K

KShiz

Also I dont eat a lot of fruit and veg.....ok hardly at all. And was wondering if anyone could suggest any vitamins maybe?

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
i just drink alot of water..:)

F

finetime

i get vb strong from the gp i find them very good after all the damage iv done over the past yrs

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Mental Health Foundation Feeding Minds website If you follow the links here you will find what they suggest for foods to improve anxiety. they sugges
Folic Acid
Food sources Green Leafy Veg - Spinach, lettuce, Asparagus, beets, Savoy cabbage, bok choi, broccoli, green peas, fresh parsley, brussels sprouts, avocados/ cauliflower/avocado/Fish – cod, tuna, salmon, halibut, shrimp/Meat – calf’s liver, turkey/Nuts and Seeds – peanuts, sesame seeds, hazel nuts, cashew nuts, walnuts/Beans and Pulses -lentils, chick peas, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans/Fruit – oranges
Magnesium
Food sources Veg – spinach, watercress, avocado, peppers, broccoli, brussle sprouts, green cabbage, watercress/Nuts – Almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts, macadamias, pistachios, walnuts, pecan /Seeds – pumpkin, sunflower, poppy/Wholegrains – oatmeal, wheatbran, long grain rice, buckwheat, barley, quinoa/Dairy – plain yoghurt/Legumes – baked beans/Fruit – banana, kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, orange, raisins/Sweet – chocolate

I've been following this eating plan since January. after I'd been doing it about a month I thought I was feeling much better, not just because I was losing weight but I felt I was thinking more clearly and sharply and generally much better able to concentrate. I've just been reading some new research on diet and brain function and it appears low carb diets are best for brain function.

These articles by Dr McCleary show how important Vitamin D is to the way your brain works.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
To be a downer, it's the way i'm feeling toiday, a friend tryed vitamins as an alternative to meds, his body was fished out of the thames

T

Ted_Hutchinson

To be a downer, it's the way i'm feeling toiday, a friend tryed vitamins as an alternative to meds, his body was fished out of the thames
But that does not tell us what supplements he was using or for how long nor what his life circumstances were at the time.

If we look at this research from Australia Melbourne we find an association between vitamin D insufficiency and psychiatric illness. If those Vitamin d insufficient people in Australia have a higher rate of mental illness is it not possible that low Vitamin D status in the UK is having some impact on our mental health?

Is it worth arguing about as it only costs 4p daily to take an effective strength D3 supplement?

After you have read Dr McCleary's articles on the role of D3 in the brain you may think twice about remaining D3 insufficient.

Our brains function much better when burning ketones than when burning glucose. You will feel sharper and more mentally alert and be better able to make sensible decisions if you cut out bread/rice/pasta/potatoes and you will lose weight. I found it cut out my cravings for food and allowed me to reduce my alcohol dependence so not only have I lost 10inches from my waist but I've also saved a fortune on booze.

If we know that people who self harm are almost always low omega 3 status, isn't it irresponsible not to tell people that our bodies need more omega 3 than they generally get now.

In Iceland they eat 1000g of fish weekly. Fish is a good source of omega 3, vitamin D and magnesium. Iceland has a lower suicide rate than Scotland where they eat only 67g of fish weekly.

Eating fish and getting plenty of sunshine are NOT going to solve all your problems but as eating more fish helps restore your omega 3, magnesium and vitamin d status it will enable your brain to function better. Therefore you should be able to find it a tad easier to reduce or at least cope better with the stress you are under.

Look at what magnesium insufficiency is associated with.

herbie

herbie

If we know that people who self harm are almost always low omega 3 status, isn't it irresponsible not to tell people that our bodies need more omega 3 than they generally get now.

In Iceland they eat 1000g of fish weekly. Fish is a good source of omega 3, vitamin D and magnesium. Iceland has a lower suicide rate than Scotland where they eat only 67g of fish weekly.
This is interesting. I've been mostly vegetarian for about 6 years - I say "mostly" because I have never given up eating fish, mainly because I love it so much and there isn't a decent vegetarian substitute for it. I eat fish of some sort or another about 3 or 4 times a week.

It hasn't stopped me getting depressed... but I have never self-harmed or had any desire to do so.

T

Ted_Hutchinson

This is interesting. I've been mostly vegetarian for about 6 years - I say "mostly" because I have never given up eating fish, mainly because I love it so much and there isn't a decent vegetarian substitute for it. I eat fish of some sort or another about 3 or 4 times a week.

It hasn't stopped me getting depressed... but I have never self-harmed or had any desire to do so.
Are humans meant to be omnivores?

Vitamin B12 and brain volume You can listen to the researcher in charge if this research here for more detail.

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Just noticed the section of your post where you say an alternative to meds Please please please don't EVER think of supplements as ALTERNATIVE to meds They may be used to SUPPLEMENT the meds but don't think of them as alternatives.
If you start taking D3 NOW at 5000iu/daily it will be next year before you really notice the difference.
Your body uses 5000iu/daily and if you take 5000iu/daily (unless you go abroad for a winter sun holiday or eat large amounts of oily fish every day) you are only meeting your daily needs with this regime. Only when the sun shines warmly again in April onwards next year will your 5000iu PLUS regular sun exposure really begin to raise your body's store and give you the extra needed to detoxify your brain and fight the inflammation therein.

Much the same story applies to omega 3 and magnesium levels. even at over 1.5g daily (six normal fish oil capsules every day) and 600mg of magnesium (I take 4 tablets daily) it will take a while for every one of the 10 trillion cells in your body to benefit. So although you may find you feel a bit better soon after you start taking them it will be at least 3 months before you can, with the support of your health professionals think about reducing the meds. Personally I wouldn't even think about it until Spring is on the way and you've spent the whole winter replenishing your Vit d/omega 3/magnesium stores and got well established on a low carb diet and obtained a reasonable BMI.

S

SallyS

Again Ted, very informative posts.

I am currently working with my homeopath to make sure I'm taking the right supplements. We're concentrating on my pain issues first, then tackling the celexa to get me off it (hopefully). And I'm quite happy with this very gradual approach.

I will have to ask him more about vitamin D. I am already taking Omega 3. And sadly, I hate fish.. just can't eat the stuff. So I know I am lacking.

Again, food for thought! (no pun intended)

S

Sammisal

Just so everyone knows, you can get vegetarian omega 3 supplements. I need to have a look at all this stuff - it's got to help.