• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Did your parents give you drugs as an early teen?

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Just wondering what other people's parents were like? Did your parents buy you drugs like ecstacy, cocaine, and hallucinogins...and let you date guys that were 15+ years older?

Just to make this clear as I'm not bashing my own mother for her choices. I had forgiven her...and still loved her.

Keesha

Keesha

No but I left home at 16 so made my own decisions

Siegfried

Siegfried

You know, a lot of times I look at this forum and kind of think even my life wasn't that weird all things considered.

T

Tombomb

Mom strictly against it but didn’t stop me I just respected her ideas n just tried her not too know

T

Tombomb

I think kids these days don’t think it’s as bad as when I was teenager in the 90 s?

T

Tombomb

Just saying weed maybe not worse then alcohol while driving n not as addicting as cigarettes

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No. My parents were religious.
My mother married a guy at 18 to leave her adoptive religious parents. I spent a lot of time back and forth with them an her growing up. They were good people and didn't know really. My mom wasn't bad, but drugs make people not think right.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You know, a lot of times I look at this forum and kind of think even my life wasn't that weird all things considered.
You know, it's sounds bad, but I was still old enough to make my own decisions in my mind. I wasn't one of those babies with 5 day old nasty diaper and rash like I've seen. And I feel she truly did the best to provide me with good clothes when possible. Back in the 90's and early 2000's, I don't think it was uncommon for parents who were addicts to see their children as their friend instead of a child. This was happening a lot to other kids I went to school with...We were kinda like a tribe. We'd all stick together and hang out sometimes for weeks at each other's houses. I think I've turned out pretty well considering. I'm not perfect, but I've been lucky not to turn into a junkie in my adult life. I've struggled with alcohol, but only during social situations due to anxiety. I still think other people have it worse. I was just a much more independent child, but as an adult I haven't quite gotten to be as independent as I'd like. I do struggle.

I feel some of the drugs may have messed up my mental health, and maybe that's the reason I feel so "different" all the time and have trouble relating...

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mom strictly against it but didn’t stop me I just respected her ideas n just tried her not too know
I'm strictly against it for my child. I would never give him weed or alcohol or any substance. I learned a lot from her mistakes, but I haven't always been the perfect parent. I try the best I can.

I'm lucky enough to have one child. I believe that's enough for me. I struggle enough, that I shouldn't have any more kids. I can be a bit overbearing sometimes, but that's because I worry so much because of my own dysfunctional childhood. I have a lot of anxiety over it.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I still beat myself up over giving him an xbox. I thought that was a dumb mistake...because I just didn't want him to feel left behind by his peers.

Contramike

Contramike

I still beat myself up over giving him an xbox. I thought that was a dumb mistake...because I just didn't want him to feel left behind by his peers.
Every kid needs to feel included. I'm thinking an xbox is a good way to keep him in contact with his friends. If that's where they are, then he'll be able to be with them. Headsets have really impacted the social nature of gaming. It's become almost a necessity in kids social lives.