• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Did you initially know you were ill?

S

superjonboy

When you suffered psychosis for the first time did you know you were ill?

I've suffered with anxiety and depression since 2000 but more recently i've become preoccupied with thoughts I might be schizophrenic or bipolar or developing them.

I don't hear voices or see things (other than little patterns in my vision) and my family/friends don't suspect anything other than anxiety.

I worry about my thoughts and some of the symptoms I get where I feel unreal and my surroundings feel unreal.

Most of the people I've talked to say that if I were schizophrenic I wouldn't be sat around worrying about it. Like if I was I wouldn't know it?

I'd appreciate any information/advice.

Kind Regards

R

rasselas

if you are already taking any psychotropic medication - such as an antidepressant or a neuroleptic or a benzodiazepine or ritalin etc (especially if you are young) it can induce psychosis - or the more dissociative feelings you seem to be having.

if you are taking any of these substances you should alert your health-providers immediately.

as to knowing, there is no straight answer to that. some people can slip into psychosis very rapidly. to be psychotic really means you cannot distinguish what is real from what is not real. however, some people are able to keep an open mind to the phenomena, others cant. i suppose it will depend on the intensity of the phenomena and your own emotional and intellectual reaction to them.

iffybob

iffybob

Me

I know that I differ from most ( cos I been told ) , but some people can be aware of the way that they feel, and the impulse that they have as not being 'right' or 'ok', not always, but somtimes aware ......

.. I think a lot of us realise by the looks we get, the way people react to us, after ..... and somtimes by a realisation of "what the hell was that", when we recall past actions.... or states of mind .....

I think if you have concerns , speek to your doctore about it, and perhaps get a referal to a psychologyst or psychiatrist .. and find out "for sure"..

... boB .... :cool: