• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Did you expect to make real friends here ?

M

ManDss

Been in online forums since long, and some only persue virtual contact with people.

Anyone here joined here expecting make real life friends ?

I

Ian Haines

I want some new, real life friends, whether or not they start being my "friends", online. Let's be brutally frank, here...there is no such thing as friendship of any realistic type happening to us, online. It can't happen. We should set out knowing that. When two people are in love, or affectionately already close offline, etc., then the dots on the screen have an entirely new "feel" to them, and mean far more, each to the other.

However, THROUGH very geographically local contacts, on here, I was ambitious enough to want to end up with people from here becoming PHONE FRIENDS! I think it would be incredibly therapeutic...in fact, to a degree I'm unable to define or describe, even to me. One day?...maybe?...something more face-to-face (which I don't even "do", at the present time) and carefully/cautiously planned out.

I live on the Wirral peninsula, on Merseyside, in the North West of England!

The next person who wants to be my "friend", somewhere, will probably be in Portland, Oregon - or, in Perth, Australia...that's the distance/feelings problem, right there. While it's nice to get supportive posts/replies...nothing matches the spoken word, on a phone, on a CB Radio, or face to face.

I think it can be made to work, but it's knowing where people are that comes next. I want offline friends, also, so that I can experience the "human-ness" of them, for myself, in their vocal tones, etc., on a phone line. The closer they are to where I live, the better...no international phone costs that mean I need to sell my house to pay the bill. Dots on a screen will never be constructed by any form of the most therapeutically caring friend - just by somebody who can write the word "friend" on a keyboard.

The Net vastly increased communication, and immensely reduced the likelihood of ever having real-world friends, at all. It did that by being, basically, what it is...dots on a screen. A human voice is worth a thousand screen replies, in the end. Interacting with another human's voice will always beat a Net connection's worth. It's a real problem! :low:

S

Sugaree

I don’t have any close friends and don’t expect to make any online.

C

cyrano midmo

I want some new, real life friends, whether or not they start being my "friends", online. Let's be brutally frank, here...there is no such thing as friendship of any realistic type happening to us, online. It can't happen. We should set out knowing that. When two people are in love, or affectionately already close offline, etc., then the dots on the screen have an entirely new "feel" to them, and mean far more, each to the other.

However, THROUGH very geographically local contacts, on here, I was ambitious enough to want to end up with people from here becoming PHONE FRIENDS! I think it would be incredibly therapeutic...in fact, to a degree I'm unable to define or describe, even to me. One day?...maybe?...something more face-to-face (which I don't even "do", at the present time) and carefully/cautiously planned out.

I live on the Wirral peninsula, on Merseyside, in the North West of England!

The next person who wants to be my "friend", somewhere, will probably be in Portland, Oregon - or, in Perth, Australia...that's the distance/feelings problem, right there. While it's nice to get supportive posts/replies...nothing matches the spoken word, on a phone, on a CB Radio, or face to face.

I think it can be made to work, but it's knowing where people are that comes next. I want offline friends, also, so that I can experience the "human-ness" of them, for myself, in their vocal tones, etc., on a phone line. The closer they are to where I live, the better...no international phone costs that mean I need to sell my house to pay the bill. Dots on a screen will never be constructed by any form of the most therapeutically caring friend - just by somebody who can write the word "friend" on a keyboard.

The Net vastly increased communication, and immensely reduced the likelihood of ever having real-world friends, at all. It did that by being, basically, what it is...dots on a screen. A human voice is worth a thousand screen replies, in the end. Interacting with another human's voice will always beat a Net connection's worth. It's a real problem! :low:
Ian, I apologize (oops, apologise) in advance for not being geographically situated per your request. I'm writing because I used to live in, and remember fondly, a place not too far from you (by my standards anyway)-- Poulton-le-Fylde, up near Blackpool. Lovely place, unfortunate marriage. I hope you find people near you.

best, cyrano (aka Richard)

JessisMe

JessisMe

I didn’t come here to make friends but have met some wonderfully kind acquaintances. xo, j

telepathic_one

telepathic_one

Just have similar people to talk to but your just as messed up as i am so i didn't expect a real world friend although im not against it.

P

Purpleplum

No.
Some of us on here need to be anonymous so therefore can't make friends on here.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

Friends would be nice. But I think that's a hard thing to do online. I'm not sure that many people live close to me. And it would be hard to figure out how to transition into a real life friendship. And lots of days I think I would rather be anonymous.

It is comforting to interact with the same people here daily.

Jolly

Jolly

I joined because it was what I needed people who can relate to mental health and I have found this forum really good and sometimes funny in the chill out section

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I'm not here to make friends, but to share mental health experiences with other afflicted folks and hear their stories. When you see you're not the only one battling the 'demons' of depression it helps you endure the load. It's nice to get empathy from some of the folks when you're feeling down, but the main reason is just to share notes.

M

Missionready

Been in online forums since long, and some only persue virtual contact with people.

Anyone here joined here expecting make real life friends ?
When you say " real life friends", do you mean friends in here, or meeting in real life? I sure hope I can make a few friends in here. This is pretty much my last hope. People in real life tend to be too judgmental.

M

ManDss

When you say " real life friends", do you mean friends in here, or meeting in real life? I sure hope I can make a few friends in here. This is pretty much my last hope. People in real life tend to be too judgmental.
Kinda both I was trying to say. But I understand if people understood only "friends to meet face to face", I didnt wrote it well.

I was mostly thinking if people expected to make solid friends here, not just "virtual people to exchange messages sporadicly".

At least my experience in the forum is just randomly exchange messages with some people, and just that. I dont feel closenes to anyone, all feels too "robotic".

sunset547544

sunset547544

What the hec is a friend anyway? I don't think I like the label much it doesn't have a very clear definition, a bit like love. People seem to come and go in my life looking for something then dissapear. Has been great at times but then the memories are sad when they are gone.