• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DID is a spectrum?

C

Confused and Dissociative

Hi I wanted to know everybody's thoughts about this because clearly I cannot categorize myself as DID but still I do see some characteristics like DID in me. I have been even jokingly taunted by friends that I have multiple personality disorder because of how different I can be at diff times or that I am so lost or confused person (they have no idea I am struggling with dissociation).. however I don't have any blackouts (like usually how it happens to DID patient when a different part is taking over).. I just feel like I do have parts but not to the extent where I blackout.. it feels more like a context switch.. like suddenly I am on a diff wavelength on which I feel different, think different and talk differently and sometimes I forget what I was thinking just before the context switch.. I am still in the process of understanding what I am going through (well it took me more than 20 yrs to know that it is called dissociation in the first place).. I have recently even started talking to a therapist about this..

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there. And welcome.

I'm glad you're taking to a therapist about it. He/she is the best one to help you figure out exactly what you're dealing with.

Dissociation is on a spectrum,all the way from the normal dissociation that every person experiences all the way up to DID.

I don't think DID itself is on a spectrum though. I think it's kinda like any other illness,you either have it or you don't. But I do believe it can be experienced in different ways for each person. Kinda like PTSD,ten people can have it but each one can experience different triggers, different symptoms,etc. Some can have mild PTSD,some can have severe. I think it's much like that with DID too.

I hope you can get this figured out with your therapist soon.

Hugs

C

Confused and Dissociative

Hi there. And welcome.

I'm glad you're taking to a therapist about it. He/she is the best one to help you figure out exactly what you're dealing with.

Dissociation is on a spectrum,all the way from the normal dissociation that every person experiences all the way up to DID.

I don't think DID itself is on a spectrum though. I think it's kinda like any other illness,you either have it or you don't. But I do believe it can be experienced in different ways for each person. Kinda like PTSD,ten people can have it but each one can experience different triggers, different symptoms,etc. Some can have mild PTSD,some can have severe. I think it's much like that with DID too.

I hope you can get this figured out with your therapist soon.

Hugs
Thankyou for the info! I am so glad to have found this forum where I can find people like me. Growing up I thought that I am the only person in this world with these issues. Always pushing them under the rug until last year when I started looking up what the heck is wrong with me and realized that all this is connected to my childhood. Hopefully with the help of psychotherapy as well I am able to get to the solution of this.

Y

Yakamoz

hi
have you ever heard of ego-state work or inner family systems (IFS)? There you can find some models of dissociation (and therefore association with the part "next to" as well). Maybe you recognize yourself there ...