• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Did I say something wrong?

Fallen From Grace

Fallen From Grace

Okay, so I have been beta-reading (reading an unpublished book and giving feedback so the author has an idea what they need to work on) for a self published author. When I first started out, she wanted me to email her my thoughts every few chapters. I've been doing that, and up until lately she emailed me back every time that I emailed her. But the last two emails I've sent her, I haven't received any reply.

I'm afraid I might have offended this person. The second to last email I sent, I had been asked my opinion on a subplot. I told her that it sounded interesting, but ultimately, she would need to be the one to make that decision and not to try just add stuff because she thinks its what other people want to read. At the end I added a PS and asked how long it took her to finish her first book because I'm working on mine and it is taking me forever. I asked if she has any suggestion on how I could speed up the process.

I'm afraid I may have over stepped my bounds, but I'm not sure. I have never been good with understanding whats appropriate to share with/ask someone. I have since then sent her an email apologizing if I have offended her and offering her more insights into her work. After all, I said I would do it and I intend to finish unless I'm told otherwise.

Part of me says that maybe she is just busy and trying to get some work done. Part of me says I've completely offended this person and they will never get over it and never talk to me again. A small part of me says it may lie somewhere in between.

Thoughts? I really don't know what to think about this. Any insights would be appreciated.

K

kaba_elmas

Former member
Hello my lovely.....

This person i am going to call this person a her it sounds like a her......but back to the point she asked you to read and review her book and if she didn't want honesty she should of not asked for feedback....

However she may not of checked her emails it could be something simple......do you have a contact number for her maybe you could call her directly instead of email....

Good luck x x

Fallen From Grace

Fallen From Grace

Well, I found out what happened. I didn't piss her off or anything. In fact, she said she found my comments to be quite helpful. She had gone to a realities house for the weekend who didn't have internet access. But the idea of something like that occurring to me would just make too much sense. :doh: Sometimes I guess I just let paranoia get the better of me.