• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Did I mention I'm utterly insane?

O

originalpiratematerial

My Dad is bipolar, so was my late Grandmother on my Mum's side. Looking at both of their lives I can safely say that:
a. I too, am clearly bipolar
b. I don't want an official diagnosis

Why? I want to deal with this without taking meds. I don't want to be branded. I like the prospect of being able to work with children, amongst other things.

I'm a pretty regular guy. I did just fine in my A Levels and am now off to a world-ranked university , and I've never had a problem in connecting with my peers, or the opposite sex. I am however totally paranoid that it's all going to fuck up any time now.

I'm constantly up and down. To be blunt I'm a snappy **** (thankfully people put this down as a personality trait rather than a medical condition). I like inflicting pain on myself when I feel down. I have the ability to spew an endless amount of pain on those close to me with words. I hate the fact that I have these tendencies and am slowly learning how to control myself, I think it's do-able.

I'm looking for advice from people who are coping without medication, or advice from someone who has had a good experience with medication.

How the fuck does everyone else cope? And can I put this down to the few joints I smoked when I was 14 or was this always going to happen?

D

dreambuggieII

hola

schizo bretheren here.

I'm not cured. I live with my symtoms, which sometimes I can manage and sometimes I don't. I fall into the anti-psychiatry camp very softly. I believe that there is a way out - through other means, although meds have had their part to play. difficult to judge on whats been the best course of my past life.

I believe in "good" therapy and cheesy as it may sound, but I also believe that humanity and your connection to it -personal as well as on the whole . Can make a change.

Unfortnately - the worlds a jungle. I live and have created my "utopia" the best way that I can from a few people around me. Tis enuff.

also have read about conditions, treatment etc etc - information and knowledge have helped too.

honeychild132

honeychild132

I also suspect I may be Bipolar; it runs in both sides of my family and I show multiple symptoms. I'm not sure I can help you with the 'coping without meds' thing, because I'm not coping.
The thing that shocked me the most here is this; "I like the prospect of being able to work with children". Can you not work with children if you are diagnosed? I have never heard this before.
I'm guessing you live in England because of the A levels reference. Do you have any links to websites that state things you can't do if you're diagnosed with Bipolar? Or any other kind of 'evidence'. I really need to know.

Sorry I veered off topic from what you asked..

HeartOfDarkness

HeartOfDarkness

My Dad is bipolar, so was my late Grandmother on my Mum's side. Looking at both of their lives I can safely say that:
a. I too, am clearly bipolar
b. I don't want an official diagnosis

How the fuck does everyone else cope? And can I put this down to the few joints I smoked when I was 14 or was this always going to happen?
My mum is bipolar and has gone through so much shit with the medication that id rather not have a proper diagnosis for myself. Sometimes i cope with the crap, sometimes i just pretend. I dont want to be on medication again cos the stuff i was on when i had PND was horrible.

M

mad as a hatter

i wish i had never started ne meds with my bipolor there a total nitemare almost feel they have made me worse in the long run

guggy

guggy

Honey, I think the parent poster refers to the fact that if he openly reveals his condition he might be discriminated against during the hiring process, which is understandable given the weight of the stigma that being associated to a mental healh problem brings with it.

honeychild132

honeychild132

Honey, I think the parent poster refers to the fact that if he openly reveals his condition he might be discriminated against during the hiring process, which is understandable given the weight of the stigma that being associated to a mental healh problem brings with it.
Oh, okay, thanks for the information!

E

EternalityFlames

I too, do not want to be diagnosed, but Im in the process of seeing a therapist whom I'll be talking to about it tomorrow as the doctors told me he thinks I may have it, and the best people would be from my mental health place or whatever its called. I too don't want to be on meds, and if I'm diagnosed, I'm going to be doing alot of research into natural meds, and supplements that may help, I don't like the thought of being on meds at all. I'd also look into therapy too for it.