• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Did anything trigger your agoraphobia?

C

crazygal78

I guess you could say I'm agoraphobic because I totally avoid leaving the house unless I HAVE to.I think it goes hand in hand with the fact that I just don't like being around people.(social anxiety)
I have always been somewhat shy and withdrawn,but for me it really started when I developed ADULT ACNE 6 years ago.
My acne has since cleared up,but I have gotten used to avoiding people and any social situation.I hate being the center of attention and I really hate people staring at me.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone here knew of some event in their lives that may have triggered their agoraphobia or fear of leaving the house?

2hoot39

I wish i did, i too dont leave the house unless its with someone else i cant deal with crowds loud places etc and always feel like im being watched its like i know what everybody is thinking and that people are judging me.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I'm the exact same hoot, I can only leave the house if my hubby is with me, its a nightmare!! Nothing triggered mine, it just kind of sneaked up and gradually got worse until I just couldn't go out.

2hoot39

its crap work have terminated my contract because i cant go, i just feel like im losing the plot it gets me really down but i hide my feelings from everyone.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I had to leave my job because of it and it'll be 3 years in June since it started. I'm getting cbt just now but its useless.

2hoot39

do you feel like the doctors and meds help ive got worse not better?

M

madsheep

hey hoot. I had to reread your first post a couple of times to make sure it wasnt me that posted it. lol. I am exactly the same. And as for meds and doctors.... well meds dont work for me, and i am currently inbetween doctors so thats not helping either. I have no idea what triggered it. It just kinda happened, and now its so bad that most days I cant even stand the curtains being open because I think that people are watching me.

2hoot39

i am the same i dont open the curtains either i cant either go up the garden to put the washing out! its like a wall around the house i just cant get passed.

sallyG

sallyG

mine was triggered by a breakdown i had a few years ago..i cant leave the house alone..either hubby has to come with me or one of my kids..im hopeless

M

madsheep

I used to be able to go into the garden, but cant do that now. Even the conservatory is becoming a NOGO zone for me, as its just too open. And I also used to be able to go out with any member of my family. Now its either I go out with Graeme, or I dont go out at all.
Kind of a relief to know that I am not the only one that keeps the curtains closed though.

2hoot39

it takes me about atleast an hour to get the post out of the porch (if i decide to do it) pacing and i get really worked up about it.:scared:

L

Lady Summer Isles

i am the same i dont open the curtains either i cant either go up the garden to put the washing out! its like a wall around the house i just cant get passed.
Another Blind closer here. Certain rooms are difficult to go in at different times. Never answer the door or phone. Can get out very occ on own but then i'm bad for days afterwards. Even going out with someone is stressfull. My support worker is quite crafty tho. We have a post box literally just outside my house and she gives me stamps and makes me post stuff to her to get me out of the front door at least. I try and get out into the back garden but it's quite exposed. Fun isn't it - NOT
Hugs
Lady T
:grouphug:

N

NrLondonGuy

Only had it briefly but it scared the hell out of me. It was triggered by exhaustion after spending two months in hospital and exasterbated by seroquel which reacted badly with me. I was scared to leave my town, could not go to big supermarket or more then 10 mins from my house, would freak out in ques and afriad to leave house in general. Afriad of havnig a pnic attack and totally loosing it. Luckily once I figures I had a problem there (after backing away 3 times when tried to leave small town) and when walking 5 minutes down the road became a problem after panicking and thinking got enough on my plate don't need ANOTHER illness I read loads of stuff on internet and me and my nurse devised an exposure plan - I started with walking around town and stuff, then went to supermarket then went 3 miles down road to town I grew up in and was familiar with (Very csared but did not run away), did that few times, then next town and next, kept exposing myself to going out until I finally went up to LOndon, place I was most scared of despite living there for years and then that helped massively. When I came of seroquel it went completley and the other day I was on very busy tube in London where I could not even move and didn't even flinch. Could have become very nasty but luckily acted quickly. Wish I had done the same of OCD when that started!!!!!

Last edited:
C

coraline1664

Not exactly for me, I think various events in my life that made me feel like absolutely nothing and being a highly sensitive person from a very young age definitely contributed to the social phobia and panic attacks. The agoraphobia was a development of that.

I had a period where I was still anxious and felt really strange amongst others but still managed to do things. I started slipping again and stopped any sort of social activity, then started to stop going into any shops but the supermarket, then the supermarket was a nightmare. I also live by myself so have to go out or make phone calls to get various things sorted which fills me with terror. I also jump and then freeze when I hear a knock at the door or my phone ring.
I do the pacing before going out, including putting the rubbish out. sometimes I will put my shoes on, then take them off again and so on because I just don't feel I can do it. I don't like having the curtains open either, and can't look out of my window, it's very close to the street.
I pace and get really really anxious before taking the rubbish out, and the amount of adrenaline rushing through me when I am out is unbelievable. I am also scared for my safety whilst out because I can't concentrate nearly as much as I usually would to do things like cross the road.

I'm not getting any real help from the mental health services at the moment, I am on a waiting list for cbt but I don't even know how I will be able to get there! I have been on many medications and my partner says a couple of them did stable me but I couldn't see it, they just made me feel ill in other ways! I do think CBT could help, I have done a little before in books but it will mostly depend on the therapist that I have I think. The thing is, if I start to feel more comfortable one day, just realising that I feel better will make me anxious because I dont know how long it will last, and then I feel bad again after just a few minutes. When I used the book on my own it became another safety behaviour for me, I had to sit with it for around an hour before I went out and I would just desperately stare at the pages hoping to be able to take something in.

The fact that I can talk to other people on here who are in the same boat does help. When I go on here I often end up feeling less alone, less bleak and calmer. I manage to struggle on.

Best wishes to everyone here :grouphug:

Liz

H

hiddenharvestmouse

Ive thought long and hard about how my anxiety and social phobia problems have come on, i was always shy, but my problems have got increasingly worse since i was about 21. There are definately some events in my life that have really knocked my confidence and self esteem. I only admitted i had a problem 2 years ago, thats when i first admitted that there was something wrong.