• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Did any of you suffer with compulsive eating as a child?

L

LilMissLost

Hello there, was wondering if you could lend me your expertise if you experienced compulsive eating as a child and what you may have been thinking/ feeling and if there is any other underlying mh issues you may have.

The reason i ask is because my 7 year old daughter turns to food when she is unhappy/ happy/ angry which is alot of the time,iv spoken to her about how she feels and she really hates herself, no idea why because she is beautiful, she has no confidence and she reminds me of myself as a child, putting a brave face on and pretending its ok when deep down i know shes not! any information or advice/previous experiences would be very much appreciated, im going to attend counselling soon and ask if i can take her in with me, she seems quite up for chatting with someone and really identifies with how i feel and react to things, iv just found out iv got bipolar 2, i suppose addiction runs in our family but i dont want my little girl to rely on food to make her happy and it seems she needs extremes to make her happy any other way, i may be worrying too much and sorry for the rambling but any information would be of great help to me :grouphug:

A

Affective

Hello there, was wondering if you could lend me your expertise if you experienced compulsive eating as a child and what you may have been thinking/ feeling and if there is any other underlying mh issues you may have.

The reason i ask is because my 7 year old daughter turns to food when she is unhappy/ happy/ angry which is alot of the time,iv spoken to her about how she feels and she really hates herself, no idea why because she is beautiful, she has no confidence and she reminds me of myself as a child, putting a brave face on and pretending its ok when deep down i know shes not! any information or advice/previous experiences would be very much appreciated, im going to attend counselling soon and ask if i can take her in with me, she seems quite up for chatting with someone and really identifies with how i feel and react to things, iv just found out iv got bipolar 2, i suppose addiction runs in our family but i dont want my little girl to rely on food to make her happy and it seems she needs extremes to make her happy any other way, i may be worrying too much and sorry for the rambling but any information would be of great help to me :grouphug:
I never had problems eating as a child, but when I became a teenager I used food as comfort. However I did exercise a lot so I never gained weight.

L

LilMissLost

I never had problems eating as a child, but when I became a teenager I used food as comfort. However I did exercise a lot so I never gained weight.
Thanks Affective, i think i did too as a teenager, She definetly does seem to use it for comfort and want to help her overcome it now so it doesnt lead to any more problems later on, roll on summer and the long walks up the beach then, im rubbish at exercising in winter as i always get depression so i guess more exercise would help us both :)

A

Affective

Thanks Affective, i think i did too as a teenager, She definetly does seem to use it for comfort and want to help her overcome it now so it doesnt lead to any more problems later on, roll on summer and the long walks up the beach then, im rubbish at exercising in winter as i always get depression so i guess more exercise would help us both :)
I think exercise, especially in the summer, would be an excellent idea. Are there any summer clubs your daughter can join? Even playing Frisbee in the park could help :)

L

LilMissLost

I might look into that thanks, shes always been very unsure of joining clubs iv just managed to keep her going to swimming but thats about all so far, she doesnt like to be embarrassed she tells me, very low self esteem but she would be more than happy to do stuff with me, our aim is to get a pony when were a bit better off, that close bond with my horse really helped me! :)

A

Affective

I might look into that thanks, shes always been very unsure of joining clubs iv just managed to keep her going to swimming but thats about all so far, she doesnt like to be embarrassed she tells me, very low self esteem but she would be more than happy to do stuff with me, our aim is to get a pony when were a bit better off, that close bond with my horse really helped me! :)
Does she get on with your family, especially the younger members. Because as I was just reading this again I thought you could have like a day out altogether. That way you get exercise and you all have fun. Of course, if it isn't too much pressure on you. :)

L

LilMissLost

You read my mind!! she is an only child and hasnt got that many friends as she goes to school in the next village, plus i never know when im going to have a good day or bad day so its hard to arrange things but...i have arranged for me, my partner and daughter to go to a family friendly festival on sunday, we already know quite a few of the djs so hopefully there will be some children there she clicks with, if not im sure me and her can have a smashing day walking around the kids field, loads of free activities, it has definetly perked her up for the time being!! Which is lovely! still cant stop her taking food from the cupboards tho and short of locking them all with a padlock and key im not sure how to sort that, have told her again and again she can eat fruit til it comes out her ears but its always cakes, fizzy and bad things she craves and takes without permission, i was going to start giving her pocket money i wonder if it would work if one of the rules were to be no taking food without asking (was going to deduct a bit of her pocket money if she breaks rules) Thankyou again for your reply, it really does help!! :)