• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Did ANTIDEPRESSANTS help you?

nenexx

nenexx

Simple question, I have panic disorder, even if everything is all right in my life I imagine myself dying within few seconds, or dropping dead... especially in stressful situations where stress is part of job.

Did AD help you forever, or you still need to take them for the rest of your life, that is my main question?

jajingna

jajingna

Yes, they helped me numerous times. Dunno about "rest of your life." I got on them earlier this year. Went years without. Over a 30 year span took them sometimes, often didn't. But they helped when I needed them.

K

Keesha

No they didn’t work for my anxiety and panic disorder. What does work very well for me is clonazepam. It’s like lorazepam only stronger.

B

BlueWater

For panic, Clonazepam and Propranolol.

nenexx

nenexx

Im afraid that my heart will stop from propranolol.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Nah, when in a state of severe panic, your heart rate increases. (Alternatively, as unlikely as it is, if you were actually going to be at risk of suddenly dropping dead, your heart would speed up an extreme amount first. Neither situation entails the heart slowing down or just stopping out of nowhere.)

Propanolol slows the heart rate enough to dampen the major physical stress response to panic. It reduces adrenaline and I think cortisol. So it would PREVENT a risk of your heart stopping. Taking a normal amount of propanolol will NOT cause your heart to slow down anywhere near the extent that it could stop.

Anyway, for my panic, Xanax (Alprazolam) is the gold standard, followed by Klonopin (Clonazepam).

nenexx

nenexx

Nah, when in a state of severe panic, your heart rate increases. (Alternatively, as unlikely as it is, if you were actually going to be at risk of suddenly dropping dead, your heart would speed up an extreme amount first. Neither situation entails the heart slowing down or just stopping out of nowhere.)

Propanolol slows the heart rate enough to dampen the major physical stress response to panic. It reduces adrenaline and I think cortisol. So it would PREVENT a risk of your heart stopping. Taking a normal amount of propanolol will NOT cause your heart to slow down anywhere near the extent that it could stop.

Anyway, for my panic, Xanax (Alprazolam) is the gold standard, followed by Klonopin (Clonazepam).
Awesome news man, I didnt expect that!!!
Where did you get those info, and do you recommend me to use propranolol 30 mg because my doctor prescribed me that, but I am scared of taking it

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I got the info from doctors, as well as proper medical websites about propanolol, and also my mum has taken it twice a day since before I was born to prevent migraines, and now, to also slow the heart rate just a little and to assist in controlling her atrial fibrillation.

If your doctor prescribed you 30mg for the reasons you've told us here and they're the same reasons you told the doctor, then I would expect that to be safe. I am not a doctor and am not familiar with the dosages. If you're really worried, you could take half I suppose, and ease into it.

As I said, my mum takes it everyday, but most people with panic take it "as needed" to stop or reduce the physical effects of panic or anxiety.

S

StillDepressed

I would recommend Propranolol as it will help keep the physical symptoms of panic at aby, even though it may not stop the panic completely by itself.

I currently take 80mg (and have been on 240mg in the past) so 30mg is a good starting point and very safe.

nenexx

nenexx

I would recommend Propranolol as it will help keep the physical symptoms of panic at aby, even though it may not stop the panic completely by itself.

I currently take 80mg (and have been on 240mg in the past) so 30mg is a good starting point and very safe.
Whoah dude! 240 mg for panic only?
I used 125 mg of metropolol for hyperthyordism...
Okay guys, you convinced me, I will start to take 30 mg daily just to feel safer...

S

StillDepressed

Whoah dude! 240 mg for panic only?
The high dose was caused by 2 reasons,

I had a heart murmur and arrhythmia when I was a teen (nothing serious) which led to a phobia of my heartbeat, so when I panicked my heartbeat rose, my phobia kicked in and I would panic more - a never ending cycle. So staying in control of my heartbeat was important

I also suffer Anxiety induced psychosis, a psychosis that only lasts as long as the panic attack so for me to live in the real world I needed to minimalise the panic.

So my dose was higher than the recommended, I don’t expect you will ever need that, but although taking drugs that slow your heart can sound dangerous, my experience shows you that you don’t need to be anxious about taking low doses

J

justabloke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm prescribed 30mg of Mirtazapine at the moment. I'm not sure if it has helped or if there is another reason but for the last couple of days I have felt okay. I'm uncertain but for now I feel better.

nenexx

nenexx

The high dose was caused by 2 reasons,

I had a heart murmur and arrhythmia when I was a teen (nothing serious) which led to a phobia of my heartbeat, so when I panicked my heartbeat rose, my phobia kicked in and I would panic more - a never ending cycle. So staying in control of my heartbeat was important

I also suffer Anxiety induced psychosis, a psychosis that only lasts as long as the panic attack so for me to live in the real world I needed to minimalise the panic.

So my dose was higher than the recommended, I don’t expect you will ever need that, but although taking drugs that slow your heart can sound dangerous, my experience shows you that you don’t need to be anxious about taking low doses
Thank you man, do you drink any antipsychotic for psychosis?

S

StillDepressed

Thank you man, do you drink any antipsychotic for psychosis?
No, as the psychosis only happens during Panic Attacks it is not treated like normal psychosis. It is not classed as a psychotic disorder, just a panic disorder with psychotic features or anxiety-induced psychosis so we treat the anxiety not the psychosis