Diaphragmatic breathing and anxiety

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve recently been reading up on diaphragmatic breathing, it’s quite a neat technique for relaxing and not getting caught up in the “fight or flight” response.

According to the University of Texas Counseling and Mental Health Center, "Diaphragmatic breathing allows one to take normal breaths while maximizing the amount of oxygen that goes into the bloodstream. It is a way of interrupting the 'Fight or Flight' response and triggering the body's normal relaxation response."

It is a good prelude to meditation as well, for example before vipassana which is also often based off breathing techniques.

Diaphragmatic breathing - Wikipedia

Seachad

Seachad

It also seems to help shift control away from the amygdala, which overrides the prefrontal cortex when 'fight-or-flight behavior surfaces in PTSD and related disorders, and helps establish the sort of mindfulness and focus which are the function of the prefrontal cortex. Hence helping it re-establish control and behavioral regulation.

I also find, during these times, that engaging as many of the senses as possible, to re-establish awareness of my environment, as an adjunct to the diaphramatic breathing (concentrating upon noticing the feel of something around me, the color of something, the sound of...&c. helps as well. Forcing oneself to focus, concentrate, and think, seems to be the key to reestablishing control from the amygdala. (Of course, the trick is getting out of the fight/flight override to that point in the first place.)

Good going, though. And good luck with the technique. Hoping it works well for you and that you find it successful.